Peek inside....

JerseyPearl

Just sharing a photo that I posted on my Instagram...this is a 2.2mm drill hole on a cultured Tahitian pearl. Kind of interesting to take a peek down the "rabbit hole" don't ya think? IMG_4315.jpgIMG_4314.jpg

Thanks for the photo. Is the white material nacre dust? Will it wash away?

Yes, that's drilling dust. This was prior to hole cleaning out. I use a combo of scotch tape and canned air to blast the dust out of the hole. I don't introduce any liquids (aside from the glue) for fear of compromising the exposed layers of nacre. Since this was drilled at 2.2mm (which is quite large), it was very easy to roll up a piece of tape (sticky side out) to get all the dust remaining after the air blast. I should have photographed it at that point...next time!

And you can see my partial finger print on the side of the pearl in that first shot.

Yes, it is! I drilled a few 2mm holes for my sons leather necklaces this summer. Those Ts are hard as nails!

I've never drilled that large a hole ... 1.2 is about the largest - you guys are very brave ! I'll have to give it a try once I sort out a design. :)

Honestly, I felt conflicted drilling such a large hole; but it's necessary to get the leather through (yes, with safety glasses!). I love the look!

I know exactly what you mean about the conflicted part...I did this for a minimalist design bracelet, which is a bit ironic...but I was able to drill through the knobby top part (which was unattractive) and really highlight the rest of the pearl, which is gorgeous. This is only a half drill, not a full drill.

Oooh, Lady_Disdain ... can we see the "little birdie pearl"?

Here is the same pearl mounted. View attachment 54320This photo was taken outdoors, with sunlight coming through the trees, so not completely shaded.

Well I say the large drill hole was worth it!! I love this look! I have an older bracelet just like this, only with silver bead instead of pearls. I've often thought it would look so much better with pearls instead! Very pretty, JP!

Back