pearl stringing price

Do you know if they cleaned the pearls as part of the fee? Or am I being really ignorant to even ask that question? I'll apologize ahead of time, ok?

I don't know? I didn't ask. Is that something I should be asking?

Sigh - I have bought a two-strand Mikimoto necklace recently, unbelievable nacre and freshly restrung ... strangely, though, they rest oddly when worn as though there's a pearl missing from the longer strand, they kind of clash with each other. I purchased them from a reputable dealer, so I'm surprised. Has anyone else struck such a problem? I doubt whether a restringer would have pinched or left off a pearl, so it must be quite an art to get them right. I'm having to investigate whether I can have the longer strand "eased" a little so the shorter one will sit above it properly (realy don't want to pay for a full restringing, or have to lose a pearl from the shorter strand ... ). Having paid full market price for the pearls, I'm a little disappointed!

Why are south sea / tahitian pearls more?

Why is a Mercedes more expensive to repair than a Daewoo? :) [or why does my main parachute cost 5 dollars to pack - but the emergency parachute 100 dollars] (That was a hubby comment)

Theres a number of factors - not the least being the "risk" - a problem on a cheap strand is easily and cheaply overcome - on a strand of high end tahitians - not so easily (or cheaply) - Time factors - the better the strand the more time is often consumed in making sure everything is precisely right. Materials - a common strand of pearls may not warrent using expensive thread\gimp - but of course on the better strands you match the better material to the job.
And lastly - Mystery clasps - any strand with those attracts a premium - as time and complexity is far greater then a standard simple clasp.

Mary, It could be that the pearl threader had a grip like a monkey and they are too tight, tension can play a big part when threading.
The threader has to make sure it is balanced before finishing off.

I reckon your pearls will have to be rethreaded.

Why is a Mercedes more expensive to repair than a Daewoo? :) [or why does my main parachute cost 5 dollars to pack - but the emergency parachute 100 dollars] (That was a hubby comment)

My FIL would have said, though, "never, ever, let anyone else pack your parachute".

He was an Israeli paratrooper. They are fussy (-:

Hi Mary,
Did the 2 strands nest nicely before you had them restrung? If so and if done by the same stringer, I would certainly count the stones. (if graduated is there an obvious center pearl missing or a gap in the graduation?) Or it could be as Bernadette said, the stringer developed a monkey grip on the longer strand. If that was the case, holding either end of the necklace (by the last few pearls, no the clasp) and giving a few tugs should help it to relax. Good luck!

My FIL would have said, though, "never, ever, let anyone else pack your parachute".

He was an Israeli paratrooper. They are fussy (-:

My Eli says: "Skydivers - sport jumpers - pack their own, nobody else wants the jumper's mess on their conscience. But Israeli paratroops (the soldiers) have their chutes packed by professionals - the lady packers at jump school. When you jump with a weapon and 30 kilo of equipment, you only want the very best. You can bet your life on the work they do. I did."

Mary, It could be that the pearl threader had a grip like a monkey and they are too tight, tension can play a big part when threading.
The threader has to make sure it is balanced before finishing off.

I reckon your pearls will have to be rethreaded.

Orrrr.....If they were strung on silk, soak the longer strand and gently stretch it bead by bead, when wet. If it won't stretch enough, you will have to get it restrung. And, Bernadette is right there in Australia!

My Eli says: "Skydivers - sport jumpers - pack their own, nobody else wants the jumper's mess on their conscience. But Israeli paratroops (the soldiers) have their chutes packed by professionals - the lady packers at jump school. When you jump with a weapon and 30 kilo of equipment, you only want the very best. You can bet your life on the work they do. I did."

Then I suppose my FIL did, too. He was saying that about parachute jumping in this country, to be fair to him (in the UK, I mean). He had to keep in practice here in the UK so he could do army service in Israel.

Orrrr.....If they were strung on silk, soak the longer strand and gently stretch it bead by bead, when wet. If it won't stretch enough, you will have to get it restrung. And, Bernadette is right there in Australia!

I reckon the person who caused the problem should fix it, though (and not charge for it, either).

Single strand 18" reusing my own clasp:

Finally got around to checking pearl stringing prices today~here goes!

2 high end local owned jewelers - 18 inch strand, $4.00 and $4.50 per inch = $72 TO $81 reusing own clasp. (sent out)

3rd local custom jewelry shop - 18 inch strand, $3.00 per inch = $54 (done in house)

one local chain jewelry - 18 inch strand - $3.00 per inch = $54 (sent out)

Tiffany - 18 inch - $3.00 per inch send to NY, no additional for shipping unless returned directly to your home, then additional $15.

1 very exclusive local owned jewelry (don't faint) 18" - $250 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I really questioned this woman, I guess I'll have to take something in and get back to you all about this price, but she seemed to be very certain that was the price! She assured me the local stringer does an absolutely fabulous job!

Last edited:
Those are very reasonable prices, compared to some of the prices we have seen in this thread! I always think PP is a good place to get a baseline price, when pearl shopping. And it holds for restringing, too.

I was quoted $1 per knot at a jewelry store in Stowe, Vermont. No, thank you.

In Metro Manila, re-stringing costs between $2 to $4 per 18-inch strand. The shop near my office does such a good job that I've stopped re-stringing my pearls myself.

Back