Pearl newb with a request.

JayBob

Hello all, I'm new here. While googling, I came upon a yahoo question where someone was wondering about the value of a pearl they had acquired. The first answerer led them to this forum.

I (well, my 5-month-old daughter) recently inherited a beautiful pin that could also be worn as a necklace, from her great-great-aunt. My wife and I were wondering if it would be worth getting it appraised to add it to our Valuable Personal Property Insurance, and figured this would be the perfect place to do it. From what I've read so far, it seems I can't expect much more than a ballpark figure over the internet, but that's really all I'm looking for. Basically, we'd just like to know if it'll be worth the money spent on the appraisal, and our time to get it done.

I tried to get the best pics I could, but it seems that the true likeness of pearls are very hard to capture with digital photography, or with my camera, at least. :p Anyway, as you can see in the pictures, the piece is made up of gold and pearls. The gold work is actually quite intricate. We took it to a local jeweler to have them re-glue one of the pearls on, and all they would tell us without us paying for an appraisal is that it is indeed real gold, and real pearls....nothing more information-wise.

There are 20 pearls. 19 around the outside, and one larger one in the center. The smaller, outside pearls all measure between 4.7 and 4.9 mm across, and the larger, center one measures 6.35 mm, and they all seem to have a pink-ish hue. The entire piece measures approximately 38 mm across. There doesn't seem to be any distinguishing marks/stamps or anything on the gold...

I hope that helps anyone that's willing to help me out. Here are the pictures...
Normally I would resize them, but I feel that it may be better to leave them actual size for anyone willing to give them a discerning look.

IMG_2423.JPG

IMG_2422.JPG

IMG_2426%255B1%255D.jpg

This picture was taken with the flash on, and highlights the pink hues a little more...
IMG_2424%255B1%255D.jpg

IMG_2425%255B1%255D.jpg

IMG_2428%255B1%255D.jpg

IMG_2427%255B1%255D.jpg

very nice, you're daughter is lucky to inherit something so pretty so young. The pearls used in the piece appear to be a good quality Akoya pearl. The pearls themselves aren't terribly valuable on their own but there is a fair amount of gold present and as you said the work is intricate so there is value that comes with that.

I can't offer a valuation but it should be somewhere in the 3 figure range, not 4 figures IMO. Very nice piece though and excellent job photographing the piece for us.

Looks like a dual purpose brooch/dangle to me, with the bail at the top. Anybody guess at age of the piece? It looks fairly recent to me, and Spanish style, but I'm only going by feeling and not seeing the back for another attachment site, which would indicate older and lavalier(sp), yes? I am asking for learning purposes, as I claim no expertise. (Obviously, since I can't even call to mind the term for this piece of jewelry)

Last edited:
Here's a picture of the back side of the piece. I don't believe it to be very recently purchased, but I guess it could be possible.

Attachments

• IMG_2429[1].jpg
    IMG_2429[1].jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 33
The gold looks old, but akoyas really started selling in the 30's, not before. I think it is probably from no later than the 60's. Seems to have a Middle Eastern influence in the goldwork-

JayBob, thanks for taking a pic of the backside. That was very informative.

'Recent' for me speaks to the years after the Deco period. So, I'm not thinking it's not old, just not very old given the jewelry sometimes posted here on PG..:)

Caitlin, I thought 'Spanish' or 'Hispanic' because of the twisted gold. Remember some of the designs shown on the Sea of Cortes website? Not that twisted gold is limited to any one culture, of course.

Last edited:
Yes. It has a Mexican Look to it, too. That spun gold I remember from the 50's. My mom had some Mexican earrings that had that look- they call them Frida Kahlo earrings now. I am using dear daughter's computer cuz mine is off being fixed and I don't have the photos.
Anyway I think both looks are reconstructed Middle Eastern influence.

I just found a couple of pairs in silver, on the net. Usually they are gold.

Attachments

• fridas.jpeg
    fridas.jpeg
    9.4 KB · Views: 34
  • mexearrings5-1.jpg
    mexearrings5-1.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 45
JayBob,

Lovely piece! Welcome and thank you for the great photos. That safety lock on the pin (last photo) will help to date the piece. Did your relative travel abroad? Was there any story at all that came with the brooch/pendant? What in part of the country did she live? Any marks of any kind on the back or bail?

JayBob,

Lovely piece! Welcome and thank you for the great photos. That safety lock on the pin (last photo) will help to date the piece. Did your relative travel abroad? Was there any story at all that came with the brooch/pendant? What in part of the country did she live? Any marks of any kind on the back or bail?

I'm sorry I really don't know much about her. I actually don't even know if I ever met her...

Anyway, my grandma told me that she married a guy that made a pretty good amount of money, and likely didn't buy many things that were cheap. Unfortunately, that's about all I know. :(

I do know that she lived in Ohio for quite a long time though.

No, I haven't been able to find any kind of distinguishable marks whatsoever...

Thanks to everyone, btw!

Back