Pearl Identification

Orenthal

Hello,

I recently aquired a set of pearl earrings, with this makers mark and 14k on - Would anyone know the maker please?

Photo attached is not my set of earrings but it's the exact same mark

I'm sure it's not Mikimoto as there is no clam shell mark, but it does look like a M

Thanks!
pearlmark.jpg

My marking is on the butterfly of the earrings and also the shaft, making me think it's a brand/maker/designer?

Ssp?

Ssp?

Hi all!! Please advise. I was told by the seller that theB1920553-E643-4A6B-B0D4-0E4A0062C7E4.jpgB481C530-CE2A-4993-ADE2-43595256A9DB.jpg78F59EE5-BD04-4619-8691-373CD1288613.jpg015C896F-2DEB-4BF0-B2FD-8951E322CBE3.jpgse are SSP she bought from Palawan. Thank you in advance.

Jeangrey1, be careful, with that color they could be dyed freshwater pearls.

Thanks so much! Unfortunately I bought them :(. Will post here first before buying :( I will just use them as my everyday pearls.

Hopefully you didn't spend more than FWP would have cost. And remember, FWP are also real cultured pearls.

What is the metal of the clasp?

Jeangrey1,

Your new pearls look lustrous and with few blemishes, and apparently a nice large size. What size are they? Yes, they likely are dyed or irradiated (safely) to achieve the color, but it is a permanent treatment done for many years to akoya pearls to achieve a gray to black color, and to freshwater pearls also as they became rounder and more available. With the introduction of bead nucleated freshwater pearls, it is more difficult for us all to identify the type of pearl. I agree with the others, your pearls probably aren't SSP.

Personally, I enjoy color treated gray and black pearls, other colors also. I was just thinking, if my name was Grey, I'd probably wear lots of grey/gray pearls!

Hi Pearl Dreams! It was sold to me for about 100 USD. Hmm, I think the clasp is stainless steel :)

Hi Pattye :) The pearl size is 11mm. Will definitely wear more gray pearls! Now if only I can find gray ssp pearls :)

At $100, your pearls have to be freshwaters. But that's okay! You didn't overpay. :)

There are some SSP that are a more silvery blueish shade of white rather than a white-white. However a round strand of any good quality SSP will cost thousands, not hundreds. :rolleyes:

Will definitely wear more gray pearls! Now if only I can find gray ssp pearls

Genuine natural colors of gray, silver to almost white are found in cultured Tahitian pearls which also are saltwater pearls. You aren't likely to find gray SS. Expect to pay a minimum of several thousand USD and up for round pearls. Teardrop and oval shapes (if you like them) and ringed pearls can be less expensive than rounds. We have been told almost all of the pearls found in the Philippines are Chinese freshwater pearls, in spite of what the sellers say.

Last edited:
Back