Pearl diver dies in Broome

Considering the amount of misinformation in this thread as to what exactly drift diving is, I'm not sureprised that anyone thinks that the 4 Corners report is bad journalism.

Hopefully this 4 Corners story gets Paspaley to review their drift diving procedures now instead of waiting 2 to 3 years for the full coroner's report.

Last edited:
Any employer of people in this country would review their proceedures instantly upon a death in their work place. Employer's do not need the lefty media to be judge and jury.

Industry in Australia is very heavily regulated.

I enjoy participating in the Pearl Guide but could the moderators please stop the too-ing and frowing on this subject.

The family as we can see are grieving as well as colleagues. Spare a thought for the skipper of the boat as well. Who's to say they are not reader's of the Pearl Guide.

The Coroner should be allowed to do His/Her work on All the evidence that I'm quite sure we do not have access to.

As always on this board there's great factual expert contributions and some robust discussion. Thank God for the combination of good governance in developed countries (albeit needing constant, skeptical and ongoing scrutiny), a free press, and freedom of speech on this board! May the poorer countries develop such institutions and safety regulations in time.

Hi Rusty
I was thinking that remark in the post before you, probably put an end to the line by line debate.
It is getting cranky, so it is a good time to move on.

Any employer of people in this country would review their proceedures instantly upon a death in their work place.

The industry moved pretty quickly in the 1990s, so hopefully they'll do it again.

Employer's do not need the lefty media to be judge and jury.
How do you qualify that comment. Or is it just a knee jerk reaction? Something that you seem to be implying I'm guilty of.

Industry in Australia is very heavily regulated.
The Fisheries side of it certainly is. Especially with regards to quotas. Though the drift diving side of things doesn't seem to have changed much sinch the 1990s.

The Coroner should be allowed to do His/Her work on All the evidence that I'm quite sure we do not have access to.
There are people in this thread who champion this statement, yet at the same time imply that it's entirely the divers fault.

Again the important question is how did Paspaley allow a situation to occur where 5 of the 8 divers on board had never drifted before.

Hi all,
As Jarrod's father firstly let me say thank you for the kind words and messages of condolence on this thread. Also thanks to everyone who has made constructive contributions.

I have just got two questions and would appreciate answers from all those who have previously commented. Please treat these as theoretical only.

1. Should the crew of a pearling boat, especially one on which there are first time drift divers, be trained in the following procedure as stated in the PPA Code of Practice;
"7.4. EMERGENCY PROCEDURES DIVE RELATED

A. Companies should ensure dive emergency procedures cover the search, recovery and retrieval of injured divers."

2. In case an injured diver is recovered should the boat have a defibrillator on board to assist in revival if necessary?

I do believe these can be answered with either a yes or no. As I mentioned lets treat them as though they have no relation to my son's death.
Thanks very much, Tony Hampton.

Hi Rusty
I was thinking that remark in the post before you, probably put an end to the line by line debate.
It is getting cranky, so it is a good time to move on.

Some more sloppy commenting from you?

Why is it that I am accused of being cranky when I am simply stating that there is misinformation in this thread on the ins and outs of drifting.

I mean there wasn't even a clear idea on how divers are contracted for a season and not full time employees.

Hi all,
As Jarrod's father firstly let me say thank you for the kind words and messages of condolence on this thread.

My condolences for your loss.

I have just got two questions and would appreciate answers from all those who have previously commented. Please treat these as theoretical only.

1. Should the crew of a pearling boat, especially one on which there are first time drift divers, be trained in the following procedure as stated in the PPA Code of Practice;

A. Companies should ensure dive emergency procedures cover the search, recovery and retrieval of injured divers."

2. In case an injured diver is recovered should the boat have a defibrillator on board to assist in revival if necessary?
To answer question 1, I'd say yes. To question 2 I'd have to say no.

Unfortunately I don't think focusing more on the rescue and resuscitation side is going to be as practical as focusing on a more intensive drift diving induction.

Hi Tony,
I am so sorry for your loss, the loss of a child is the worst thing I can imagine.

I would say yes to both. First everything preventive should be thoroughly taught to the crew- of course.
AND everything possible for an emergency should be available for after the emergency. If the emergency dive procedures are the same training as an EMT(emergency medical technician)- EMT's are the 'first response' team and they ALL have defibrillators.

Defibrillators are now showing up in many unexpected places, including airports and many businesses and private homes. I had a portable one when my heart was really bad, and I praise them as lifesavers, like no other intervention. Ventricular fibrillation kills a number of young people doing very athletic things, every year. Whenever you hear about an athlete dropping dead, it is likely ventricular fibrillation. If such an intervention can be used on someone in the first few minutes, it would try to start up the heart, and often to usually works. The equipment takes about five minutes of training. It will try to restart a heart stopped for any reason. And the prices are falling as they sell more meant for private use.

It could not hurt to have it. It is just one more intervention in preventing deaths for any reason. It could help more than having a doctor on board, for instance...

Employer's do not need the lefty media to be judge and jury. How do you qualify that comment. Or is it just a knee jerk reaction? Something that you seem to be implying I'm guilty of.

Are you the media? If not, I don't see the implications of that remark.

Since all of your remarks were line by line answers, and look like reactions to other's statements rather than you posting what you know about drift diving. I didn't get what your overall knowledge is, at all. All the line by line stuff chops up your POV. I would like you to just state what you know of drift diving since you are not pleased with what has been said so far. Make a case in a post instead of picking apart other people's statements, then we can see the big picture from your point of view. I understand what Dave is saying as a whole. You? Not so much.

I thought I learned something about drift diving from this thread, then you said it is all wrong- so what is correct?

Hi all,
As Jarrod's father firstly let me say thank you for the kind words and messages of condolence on this thread. Also thanks to everyone who has made constructive contributions.

I do believe these can be answered with either a yes or no. As I mentioned lets treat them as though they have no relation to my son's death.
Thanks very much, Tony Hampton.

Above all Tony, I offer my sincerest condolences for the loss of your son.

Yes, it is always my position, that diver safety is the highest priority in any operation.
Companies should maintain standard operating procedures for risk assessment, minimum training requirements and emergency duties.

And yes, again. There cannot be enough equipment close at hand for medical emergencies. This should also include oxygen, CPR masks, airways and other advanced jump kit tools. Likewise. in the absence of immediately available medical help or resources, at the very least ... a workable plan. Each plan should be in the form of daily briefings, notwithstanding the points answered in the first question. For example, if sea conditions are rough or choppy, air-evac will be the priority on that given day... and so on.

Thank you kindly for taking the time join this discussion. If you have more questions or have other requests, please don't hesitate to ask.

Hi all,

Please accept my condolences on the loss of your son.

I don't have any diving experiences, but common sense tells me adequate measures should be in place to mitigate the risk to employee safety, so yes to your questions.

Hi Tony,

Thank you so much for your post - this last week, as you know, there have been other grieving Australian parents, trying to make sense of their sons' deaths, and trying to compensate at least a little bit, through trying to prevent further deaths. If, in time, it turns out that new laws are needed to ensure safety, no doubt there will be "Jarrod's law" - a permanent testament to his brief life. I hope it is some comfort to know that, rather than in the mean streets of King's Cross, he died in one of the most sparkling blue seas on the planet ... with the purest of air above, the most pristine of sea life right up and down the coast. What a comfort to be able to visit the site and have salt wind blowing in your hair, and the most ancient of rocks behind you, and beyond them the reddest of red dirt and the greatest of open flat spaces, and the bluest of dark blue skies. And - day or night - the Southern Cross above.

Dear Mr - and Mrs - Hampton.
The loss of a son is catastrophic and the pain will never go away, nor will there ever be true solace. I lost my own son two years ago, so I do know a little of how you are now. Anger and if onlys fill your waking days and they give you a reason to get up and breath in the morning....but don't let anger and blame rule your lives.
I am assured that coroners in Australia are as thorough and fearless as their counterparts here in the UK, so I am sure that all that happened will be fully investigated with imput from experts around the world. Everyone will be wanting to make sure that this situation is designed out of the system in future.
Eventually you will see a glimmer of peace on your horizon. reach out to that rather than stay in the land of anger.

Are you the media? If not, I don't see the implications of that remark.

I'd thank you to not attribute to me comments that I have not made. Please check the remarks that you are attributing to me as my quoted comment before you bundle them into a quote.

To answer your comment; the 4 Corners programme is produced by the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (the ABC for short). It is a purely government funded entity. Unlike the BBC in the Uk the ABC is not funded by a "TV license".

It's focus can be on the "little man" (you could say) with what, at times, can be considered determental reporting towards big business and the government. It is not uncommon for people in this country to accuse it of being the "left wing media" if they see reports, editorials or general news reports that do not appeal to them.

On the flip side people also accuse the ABC of going too easy on topics if people find that they don't completely agree with the coverage.

Since all of your remarks were line by line answers, and look like reactions to other's statements rather than you posting what you know about drift diving.
I thought it would have been obvious that I am providing answers to the comments I am quoting against.

I didn't get what your overall knowledge is, at all. All the line by line stuff chops up your POV. I would like you to just state what you know of drift diving since you are not pleased with what has been said so far.
I spent 9 years in the West Australian pearl industry. 4 of them as a drift diver.

Make a case in a post instead of picking apart other people's statements, then we can see the big picture from your point of view.
I'm providing my point of view to Dave's comments. While he has had numerous years in commercial diving, he hasn't, as far as I know been drift diving on the 80 Mile Beach.

I thought I learned something about drift diving from this thread, then you said it is all wrong- so what is correct?
I don't doubt Dave's experience as a commercial diver but unless you've experienced drift diving then I don't think you can extrapolate one from the other.

With that said there are a couple of things that don't sit well with me from the 4 Corners report. But there have been comments covering those views.

Last edited:
I'll repsond to some of Dave's comments;

This should also include oxygen,

Oxgen is carried on board. It is used on those dives when staging at 10 metres is required. Considering that a trip to sea averages 8 days then yes there is more than enough carried onboard.

Each plan should be in the form of daily briefings, notwithstanding the points answered in the first question. For example, if sea conditions are rough or choppy, air-evac will be the priority on that given day... and so on.
Rough days for a diver isn't something to be too concerned about. After all you are underwater away from the swell.

It's more the deck crew that have it bad.

The only thing you really have to watch out for is the shot weight slamming up and down in the water. But the skipper will be able to steer the boat in an attempt to minimise this. After all it's in their best interest for their divers to be able to be "pulling" shell.

With respect to air evac people have to realise how remote the areas in which the boats go drifting are. In choppy weather there's no way a sea plane can land. Also access to an easily excessible air strip can be problematic.

Last edited:
Back