P. sterna v Pipi

Mystery man Ed.... oh, this is getting interesting! ;)

I forget his handle here. Maybe edrodiriguez? Anyway he knows Douglas, collects Bay of Cortez pearls of every kind and has a tiny website. Maybe it is time to just call in Douglas. I'll PM him. right now. This sure has been fun. Pearls are so mysterious, even when we think we know more than the average person, LOL!

Well only going by pictures and not the real thing, so risky to say the least, I would say they could well be natural Pteria pearls (not sure anyone can prove sterna as so many species other than penguin too, but then from the look of the replies... "What do I know?"

Perhaps someone should visit with their portable UV unit ;-)

A UV light won't help identify Pipi pearls, which is the claim. If only it was that easy. :)

The other thing is that there are multiples of the necklace...

But uv light does make pteria sternas fluoresce--most of the time. The more I look at it the more I like the pearls.

They might have been cherry picked for their gnarly shapes and died to match. There is another similar necklace at barneys - same pearls, so logic says they have to pick a lot of matched pearls for that and the only thing that could do that would be CFWP. We do know they are not pipi pearls, so the only time I know people market it wrong (lie), is when they call CFWP "naturals" of any kind.

I liked the look of the pearls as well, Caitlin, because they were imperfect, but that's just my aesthetic preference. But I wouldn't pay four grand for poor wiring and non-naturals, especially of a small size. That's just absurd. On a side note, I did make a purchase at Barneys that day: a pair of Judy Geib earrings to commemorate my new position as coyote and red wolf biologist!
Laurent weighs in!
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 31
Pattye, see the colors immediately brought p. sterna to mind for me, but I haven't seen any in person before so that may be the difference between our visual recognition!

You are a coyote and red wolf biologist now ! Congratulations Andrea! This is awesome ! Et those earings are epic !

I remember this conversation very clearly and I'm THRILLED for you. I had goose bumps when I read your post!

:D I can certainly say, from the deepest of inuitions, that I have found my pack and it's exciting and comforting to have found my professional home. I'm so glad you remembered that conversation! Thank you for your support, it surely means the world :)

"Goose bumps" ... perfect description of your new position, Andrea ... Congratulations!!! LOVE the celebratory earrings; can you tell us more about them?

Thank you Cathy! The earrings are by Judy Geib; I've adored her work since I first heard of her back in 2002. Every piece is made by Judy and her one jeweler in her studio in Brooklyn. I held off for a long time on buying a piece but the time seemed right! I just adore her work: www.judygeibplusalpha.com

Back