Overtone Question

D

Dawn

Hi,

I am *very* new to the pearl market and happened across this forum while researching pearls on the web. Please excuse any of the "dumb questions" I am about to ask.

I have been looking at all types of pearls for the past 6 weeks. While I love FW, I have decided to purchase a strand of 8.5mm (minimum) Akoyas and a strand of 'natural' multi color FW pearls (preferably 9mm minimum). Rather than pay an incredible mark up at boutiques (I live in San Franciso Bay Area), I am looking for a reputable online retailer.

1. Can someone recommend a reputable retailer? I do not purchase nor am I interested in eBay-hocked merchandise.

2. Can someone explain what it means by 'overtone'? I have noticed that some e-tailiers ask which overtone you prefer when preparing to purchase. When looking at strands in the boutiques, the staff didn't appear very knowledgable and certainly diddn't ask which 'overtone' I prefer. I didn't realize I had an option!

3. Can someone recommend a reasonable price for a strand of 8.5mm Akoyas? I saw a 7.5mm strand over the weekend that retailed for $5000+! They were Mikimoto but I refuse to pay this amount of money given I am paying for a "name". There must be pearls on the market that will rival the Mikimoto brand.

Thanks for your input and sorry for the long winded message.

Dawn

Overtone Question (Part 2)

Overtone Question (Part 2)

I forgot one other thing.

I would like a strand of multi color, natural FW pearls. I don't want any dyed pearls. Is this too much to ask or are all pearls dyed?

Thanks again,
dawn

Pearl Paradise is the best on-line pearl dealer that I know of in the US. I have checked their Site and they have the 8.5mm pearls available. I have met MR. Shepherd and his pearls are really top of the notch. I do not know if he also carry multicolor strands but I see that they have the natural color freshwater in uniform so maybe they have multicolor as well.

Overtone is an important aspect of the pearl. Rose is the most popular, but it really can depend on just what looks best on the skin. I suggest you discuss this with the people you are buying from as they will have a lot of experience determining the color that works best for you. But I suggest you don't buy without a good overtone definition because some like the creamy yellow are not as valuable and do not look good on most people.

i also recommend www.pearlparadise.com. if you can, try to visit their office/showroom. it will definitely be worth the visit. there's nothing quite like being able to pick your own pearls, something you can't do with virtually all other online retailers.

the overtone is a subtle variation of the color of the pearl. though it may be basically white, good pearls have another "layer" of color that adds to the beauty of the pearl. The differences aren't really big, but you'd be surprised how big a difference it can make once you wear them.

fw pearls do have color variations, but be aware that extreme colors (i.e. black, deep pink) are almost always the result of dye.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, DAwn..

Okay I am going into Brag mode but what I say is true!
This is the best site on the web for pearl information. and noone here will ever recomend anyone to any hokey dealers... they are true Professionals and their word is as good as gold or better!
I hope to see you arround here more and good luck with the Multi Strand... If these guys do not have one they might be able to recomend someplace for you!

Ashby/Satine
Historical re-enactor with a Healthy Pearl Habit

Wow...thank you for the prompt replies...especially the link to the overtone information. This was very, very helpful---at least I know what to look for (sort of) and what to stay away from. :)

I really, really want a strand of multicolor fw pearls (in addition to Akoyas) and will put Pearl Paradise on my short list. I liked the merchandise both retailers had on their sites albeit whether it's still available remains to be seen. I will also look into visiting Pearl Paradise showroom since we are in the same state (and it looks like it might be a real treat and I can see various 'overtones' up close and personal).

Again, thanks for the feedback and I will let all of you know once I FINALLY have my pearls!

All the best...

Pearl Paradise

Pearl Paradise

Greetings Jeremy,

I looked through your website and some Akoyas caught my eye...however I didn't see multicolor fw pearls (then again, I realize it is next to impossible to list your entire inventory). I will be in the area (in route to Indian Wells) at the end of October - would love to swing through. I will send you a private message (once I figure out how to actually send email via this forum :confused: ).

Best,
Dawn

Sounds great, Dawn. Just give us a call and we will set up an appointment for you.
We do not have the multicolor listed on our Site yet. We ran a promo with a few good past customers to gauge the reaction and determine what color combinations were most popular. We will probably be putting them up on the Site mid to late October.

Dawn said:
I forgot one other thing.

I would like a strand of multi color, natural FW pearls. I don't want any dyed pearls. Is this too much to ask or are all pearls dyed?

Thanks again,
dawn

Certainly not all pearls are dyed...there is the Sea of Cortez pearl: a 100% Naturally Colored Pearl. Of course, these ARE Marine (salt-water) pearls.

Overtones: You have never experienced a pearl with overtones unless you have seen one of our pearls. Look at this small (unfourtunately photos have to be small in this forum) example of overtone in a Dark Green-Violet Sea of Cortez Cultured Pearl:

Regards,

Douglas McLaurin
perlas.com.mx

Attachments

• overtone.jpg
    overtone.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 41
I gotta say that pearl does have amazing color to it!

Love multicolor pearls!

Back