Orbit Clasp

Katbran

So ... heres the deal. I've got a gorgeous WSS GSS and Tahitian rope and am looking for a clasp. This lady wants something simple and does not want the clasp I normally use on larger pearls. Might be a touch of arthritis and she is on her own now since her husband passed. So..I was thinking about the orbit clasp. Now I know lots of you have it and I love the simple elegant shape of it. My question is how it works.

From looking at the photo it looks a bit like a trigger in that part of it folds down? So to fasten it you push one oval down onto the other. It seems like it would be a very secure clasp if that's the case.

Size - this is going to be a 'short' rope of 32" - but the pearls are fairly substantial so from 9mm - 16mm . Does anyone have the Orbit clasp on a rope of large pearls ... I'd love to see the proportions.

As I'm in Australia, clasps are a bit limited here and of course the shipping and returns to the USA makes it too hard to ' just get one and take a look' . I have a slightly similar shape available here...but the clasp is sort of pointy at the end. It's also larger..and thus more expensive. The Orbit is well priced in USD but remember I have AUD and so it's a good 25% more .. plus about 60AUD in shipping.. ugh

So - looking for a photo of large pearl rope with the Orbit clasp ! There must be one out there !!

Thanks very much K

Katbran, I bought a large orbit clasp in November with the intention of using it to restring one of my strands, but have not done so yet. I liked the smaller silver orbit clasps I had previously bought, and used one when I restrung my daughter's Tahitian necklace (which she declined) for my husband to wear. I thought it would be easy for him to operate, but no, he needs me to fasten it for him.

The trigger moves inward. You clasp it by pushing the closed oval against the trigger, which then moves inward. You can assist this by using a finger nail to "open the gate" a bit. To unclasp it you use the finger nail to push the trigger inward, opening it so that the other oval can be taken out.

I'm not sure it's a good clasp for someone with arthritis. I find the trigger on the large clasp a bit stiff, and also it's slippery-- the surface of the oval is curved so it's not that easy to open the trigger. Just my opinion. I find myself thinking a box clasp with a safety might be better for someone with arthritis. (I am a physical therapist, and have arthritis in my basal thumb joints.)

Here's a photo of two strands connected by orbits. I used one white one yellow gold orbit on each side so the whites match up and the golds match up when connected. IMG_3095.jpg

I LOVE the orbit clasps. The larger ones are very stiff to work compared with the small ones, which are quite easy to work. But they are very secure. I'm replacing all my clasps as I restring my pearls, with orbit clasps.

My 10 mm blue baroque akoyas, and coin pearls both have the larger orbit clasps in white gold and yellow gold.

IMG_2134.jpg

Press / squeeze to open.

IMG_2137.jpg

IMG_2138.jpg

It's a bit fiddly due to the oval shape and rounded edges as the mechanism wants to stay closed.
A large box clasp with a safety would probably be easier for someone with arthritis. (OH, I see Pearl Dreams had the same thought.)

Last edited:
JP, Thank you. Your Tahitian strand with the tassel is gorgeous. I keep ogling things in your Etsy store.

Well you guys are just the BEST!! Thanks very much for the info! Great photos too . I'm surprised to hear that that large one is difficult to use , that came as a surprise ! In the meantime I found this one which looks very similar - one of you might be game to give it a try sometime as it's a bit cheaper - made in Israel so I'd think the quality is decent. Size is the same pretty much.https://www.riogrande.com/Product/14k-yellow-gold-hinged-hook--eye-clasp/629243
I'll take a look at some box clasps .

Anyone else, feel free to comment on the Orbit ... all info greatly appreciated !

Thank you very very much PD JP MSC and BWeaves I really appreciate the advice ! And the idea of the box clasp..never considered it before .. !

I had PP use a large orbit clasp on my gold SS pearls. It is a lesson in frustration management for me to open it. My finger nail just slips off as the mechanism is so stiff and won't open easily (just as mentioned by others).

Well, here's my input if it helps. I have a number of large orbit clasps on pearl strands, from PP, Kojima, and some I sourced directly from Rio Grande; same one Katbran showed. I have no arthritis, but have severe tendonitis and carpal tunnel issues in both hands and thumbs, resulting in pain, swelling, dexterity issues including thumb joints that lock in place. Speaking only for myself of course, all the large clasps open and close easily, with no noticeable stiffness. I wonder if those stiff ones could be lubricated a bit at the hinge? One clasp Hisano ordered for me has a brushed finish I hoped might be less slippery, but really isn't much different. I don't know the source of that one. I've bought a number of the Rio Grande orbits. Here's a few photos; while none of these are a long rope, I connect the multiple strands into ropes all the time :) Box clasps I can use, but sometimes have trouble lining up the slot with the tongue precisely. Katbran, maybe you could order one to test, have it delivered in the US (your sister?) and have her mail it down to you? Here's a few photos; the Pteria Penguin pearls are nearly 13mm at the center. penguin necklace september 3 2014 1624.jpgRound Tahitians Med Photo.jpgRinged Tahitians.jpg

Very early on I switched most of my strands that don't have special clasps to orbit clasps. Works perfectly for connecting 2, 3 or 4 of same type of pearls into long ropes. All 7 of my blue akoya strands connect with small wg orbit clasps. Also, they're convenient for hanging pendants, and turning ropes into lariats. Admittedly, my larger orbit clasps are slightly more stiff, but still work well with larger heavier pearl strands. I love orbit clasps!

Here are a couple pics of a 36" Tahitian rope with a wg orbit clasp - taken in not so great fluorescent lighting...

Attachments

• IMG_7766.jpg
    IMG_7766.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_7767.jpg
    IMG_7767.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 35
I love the orbit clasp and have no issues opening it. Here are a few of mine with it.

Kay has my strands on worn as a triple and you can see the clasps on each side.
IMG_0367.jpg

Same strand as above and you can see the size of the pearls here.
IMG_0357.jpg

Smaller pearls with the large clasps
CyndeNewberryA.jpg
IMG 1362

All four strands together for pearl size comparison.
IMG_1279 (2).jpg

Last edited:
Well thank you every one for the marvellous photos and excellent advice. It's so difficult at times to find something that works well and is attractive. There are a lot of ugly clasps out there lol I think the Orbit shape seems like a winner overall though I might take Cathy's sound advice and have it sent to my sister so she can make sure it's working correctly.

All the photos were very helpful..it's best to see a clasp attached to get an idea of how well the size works with various strands. It's also wonderful to be reminded of all the fabulous beautiful strands that are out there ! Gosh there are some stunners !!
PD - Sorry to hear about the arthritis - I have several friends and my sister in law who are Physios and they all have Arthritis in their thumbs. Thanks for the great info!
JP thanks for the rope photos - those are the Rio Grande ones? Thats a nice savings of around 50$ for the big one.
lmgarden- thanks for the photos ! Rope photo is excellent for comparison!
BWeaves- thanks for your photos as well..good to see the size comparison - love those Akoya!
Pattye -- I didn't know there was a middle sized one..I'm going to have to go back and look! Again, great comparison photo of the 3 sizes.
Newberry - Beautiful photos of your amazing strands and I love the multi pearl strand size comparison! I was concerned that even the large r sized one might look a bit small on a 9-16mm strand but I can see clearly from your necklaces ( and JP"s and Cathy's chunky penguins) that the large size is fine.
Wendy - good idea for security and ease of use but I don't think its a look that she would like.

So thank you all for your assistance. I can't tell you how much I appreciate the effort you all went to !! What a great group of pearly friends!!
Sending hugs !!

Oh wow I had no idea that they can be quite stiff and difficult to open! Based on feedback in other threads I assumed that orbits are the most user friendly option! What's a box clasp?? Is that different to a ball clasp?

OMG JERSEYPEARL!!!! That necklace is beautiful!!!!! How long is each strand.

Back