Opinions requested: opaque gemstone beads with pearls

Adi

I have some wonderful old gemstone beads 6-10mm in size: jadeite, nephrite, Sleeping Beauty turquoise without matrix, and a few oxblood coral and good lapis. What do you think of mixing opaques with pearls? I've never done it before and am wondering if the contrast would work, or if the two would seem to "fight" each other visually. All opinions welcome!

Personally, I love them together! One way I test my design, besides just laying it out, is to use a piece of beadalon or designers wire to check the pattern as it is very fast and needle isn't needed, then am able to hold up and see in the mirror how the flow is. Then I am ready to knot or whatever to make the necklace.

Thanks again, Miss Pattye! I am new to more adventurous beading because I've mostly done boring matched pearl strand knotting. I don't trust my judgement, so thanks for the encouragement! I really like the lapis or jade with fluted gold beads and the pearls. Not sure about the vivid contrast with the coral and turquoise, but maybe I am just a "color wimp!" I'll try being a little bolder, if only on Sundays...!

Adi,

Quite a few of the "beaders" here do combinations of pearl, metals and gemstones, as you will see as you look through this topic (The Lowly Beaders' Club) It's wonderful that you have the knotting experience already! Sounds like you have great beads to start with! We will look forward to seeing photos of your creations!

I do love turquoise and pearls together. Sounds like you could have lots of fun with all the gemstone beads you have.

Thanks! I am still experimenting and will continue to do so. I'm enjoying all your posts about tips, tricks, and designs!

Back