Omega back setting for large SSP studs

Lili4ka

Hello there,

On the market for large white round studs for myself :rolleyes:

I have seen larger pearls with this Omega Back gold setting. Question to the experienced pearl lovers, how do you find those settings? On the picture, they look rather reliable to me.

Do you wear any big SSP with that type of earring settings? Would they help feeling less weight on the earlobes?

Thank you all!

Attachments

• omega.JPG
    omega.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 32
I have large watermelon tourmaline earrings that my H made for me, with an omega back clasp. Very comfortable, and secure.

I think that setting would also prevent the pearl from tipping forward, the same way a large ear nut would.

I had a pair of Majorica pearls with that back, and they were very comfortable and sat well on my earlobe. No droop. I ended up giving them to my sister because I just couldn't stand the feel of the fake pearls now that I know what real ones feel like. I do like that earring back, though.

Same large studs are offered with other fastening types: Friction back for pierced ears, and Large screw back for pierced ears.
The latter comes with extra $100, would that be more secure than the Omega?

I wouldn't think screw back would be more secure. Also, what can screw can unscrew....:rolleyes:

My main problem with screw backs is that the threads are like little rasps. Ouch. I have the same problem with threader earrings.
If you got friction backs/friction ear nuts the pearls might droop unless the friction backs are quite large.

They do provide great support and you never lose the backs.

I just discussed this with my goldsmith recently. She said in her experience Omega backs are fine, but the pressure point you get on the back of the earlobe is typically rather narrow at the top of the ear piercing hole. For an even better support she suggested large ear nuts that distribute the pressure more evenly around the hole on a large area and thus take weight off the pierced hole.

Last edited:
Noted on the pressure point, thanks morella!

Currently I have one pair or large gem cluster earrings with Omega backs. There is one negative thing that I have experienced with them. Sometimes I cannot be sure that the needle actually goes through my ears!

A couple of times when I was on my way to the office in the morning, I found an earring falling out of my ear right on my collar :confused: I turned out that when I put the earrings on in the morning, the needle had bypassed the earlobe hole, but the Omega back still worked well, as I could feel them fastened. So I thought that my earrings are fine and secured, while in the reality they were not, and the Omega back worked like a clasp on non-pierced ears! Unsurprisingly, the heavy earrings fell down. I was just lucky to have noticed it at the right time!

Oops, I've done that, too. Now I always double check that the post has gone through my hole.

Back