Old Basra pearls bought in 1973 from Iraq

DIPTI

Dear Forum,

I have a string of 110 Basra natural pearls bought by my father in 1973 in Iraq, the shape of pearls is almost round and they weigh from 1.98 to 3.2 carat and are 5 to 6 mm in size. Color is mixed shades of white. What could be the market price?I am looking for a buyer for it.

Dipti

Hi DIPTI,

You might want to have a look at the following two sellers of natural pearls, for an idea about market price:

http://www.thepearlcollector.com

https://www.karipearls.com

Remember that these are retail prices. These sellers also buy pearls. If you sell to them, though, you sell at wholesale.

You may wish to have your pearls appraised and sell them at auction, if the appraised value warrants it.

(Please note that this forum is not a venue for selling pearls.)

Hi DIPTI,

You might want to have a look at the following two sellers of natural pearls, for an idea about market price:

http://www.thepearlcollector.com

https://www.karipearls.com

Remember that these are retail prices. These sellers also buy pearls. If you sell to them, though, you sell at wholesale.

You may wish to have your pearls appraised and sell them at auction, if the appraised value warrants it.

(Please note that this forum is not a venue for selling pearls.)

Hi, Thanks for a prompt response. I just wanted to have an idea about their worth. I have some loose pearls and will also want to know are they real natural pearls (pic attached), I found them gritty in tooth test.

Attachments

• IMG_1404.jpg
    IMG_1404.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1406.jpg
    IMG_1406.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1408.jpg
    IMG_1408.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1409.jpg
    IMG_1409.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 34
I can't know if the loose pearls are natural or cultured by just looking at them. You would need to submit them for testing to a lab that is capable of identifying them (for example, the GIA).

DIPTI,

Welcome to the forum. Would you please share a photo of your Basra strand? Pearls usually photo best on something like a white paper towel. True Basra pearls are rare and always a pleasure to see to increase our knowledge, even if we can't estimate a value.

As Pearl Dreams said, we are unable to tell if the 2 pearls are cultured or natural, only a lab can do that.

DIPTI,

Welcome to the forum. Would you please share a photo of your Basra strand? Pearls usually photo best on something like a white paper towel. True Basra pearls are rare and always a pleasure to see to increase our knowledge, even if we can't estimate a value.

As Pearl Dreams said, we are unable to tell if the 2 pearls are cultured or natural, only a lab can do that.

Thanks for your response.I am sharing some pictures 0e9d8af6-b388-4938-8b05-b1d524b28ef3.JPG4a591842-5a1b-4410-b25b-c5eed9c64d9f.JPG7d5de885-297f-4399-ab5e-a4f6ca681d13.JPG8d4e1ff8-823d-4d4a-9e32-5af2b3031a76.JPG233edfde-8d64-4aed-a4b4-5fb5a133e4f8.JPGas desired

One more picture with a different strand which too was bought in 1973 from Basra.download.jpg

DIPTI,

Thank you very much for the additional photos. The pearls have outstanding luster. Also this is an interesting way to finish the necklace. Is it adjustable?

Do you have any of the original paperwork that would have come with the pearls? I recommend you have a lab examine them if possible.

The beautiful woman with her double strand of pearls looks very elegant!

DIPTI,

Thank you very much for the additional photos. The pearls have outstanding luster. Also this is an interesting way to finish the necklace. Is it adjustable?

Do you have any of the original paperwork that would have come with the pearls? I recommend you have a lab examine them if possible.

The beautiful woman with her double strand of pearls looks very elegant!

Thanks for your response.This necklace is adjustable.No paper work available.Can you recommend a lab where they can be examined.I reside in India.
Lady with the double strand is me.This necklace was also purchased in 1973 from Basra ,Iraq by my father.The pearls of double strand necklace are different from single strand ones.IMG_1046.jpgIMG_1046 (1).jpg

That’s a lovely strand, DIPTI, and your earrings are great! That style is high on my list of favorites.

That’s a lovely strand, DIPTI, and your earrings are great! That style is high on my list of favorites.

Thanks!!CricketBug, I have some very beautiful antique pearl jewelry pieces will try to post their pics in a day or so.

Welcome DIPTI! Your pearls are really lovely :) Thank you so much for sharing them with us. I am fascinated by the lovely looking luster on the 2 loose pearls ... wow! Looking forward to more photos.

DIPTI,
You wear your pearls beautifully! How nice to introduce yourself with a photo! (Beautiful pearls and gorgeous fabrics) It's always a treat to see vintage jewelry with natural pearls. Thank you so much for taking time to share your photos!

It appears there are GIA labratories in India. It seems new labs are opening, too. Probably you can "google" to find locations.

Also, many of the natural pearls offered by KariPearls.com have certificates from the following lab:

Company Name: Gem & Pearl Testing Laboratory
City/Province: Manama
Address: Ministry of Commerce
P.O.Box: PO Box 5479
International Area Code: 973
Phone: 973 17533931
Fax: 973 17536277
Email: metalgem@bahrain.gov.bh
Category Activities: GOVERNMENT DEPARTMENTS & MINISTRIES
Area: Manama
Industry: GOVERNMENT DEPARTMENTS & MINISTRIES

DIPTI,
You wear your pearls beautifully! How nice to introduce yourself with a photo! (Beautiful pearls and gorgeous fabrics) It's always a treat to see vintage jewelry with natural pearls. Thank you so much for taking time to share your photos!

It appears there are GIA labratories in India. It seems new labs are opening, too. Probably you can "google" to find locations.

Also, many of the natural pearls offered by KariPearls.com have certificates from the following lab:

Company Name: Gem & Pearl Testing Laboratory
City/Province: Manama
Address: Ministry of Commerce
P.O.Box: PO Box 5479
International Area Code: 973
Phone: 973 17533931
Fax: 973 17536277
Email: metalgem@bahrain.gov.bh
Category Activities: GOVERNMENT DEPARTMENTS & MINISTRIES
Area: Manama
Industry: GOVERNMENT DEPARTMENTS & MINISTRIES

Hi Pattye, Thanks for all the information that you have shared. GIA laboratories in India don't do Pearl testing.I am searching for some authentic company who can do it in India.
Will appreciate if anybody on this forum can help me out in finding it.
Dipti

Back