octopus bale

I did a quick internet search for a shell image of P. Margaritifera showing nacre coloration that hinted at the production of the blue, green and peacock range of black pearls. Got more than I was looking for in the image below of a shell from the Tuamotus supplied by Robert Wan, from a 1999 paper on the nature of pearl iridescence by Y. Liu, J. E. Shigley and K. N. Hurwit of the GIA, published by the Optical Society of America.

The polishing process seems to have removed the hinge from the shell, which is illuminated by argon ion laser?effect not specified. The paper does state that it is an 'exceptional' shell.

Congratulations on finding such a terrific photo. That is an exceptional shell, but others from the Wan farms in the Tuamotos have the same colors, just less of them. I gave my shells away as gifts and later I was sorry I didn't keep one.

The shells made appearances as beautiful gem-quality carved pendants on Tahitian pearl strands of a few lucky locals, but I couldn't find a fine one for sale. Just lots of rough carvings. Sounds like I need to go back? :D

The paper does state that it is an 'exceptional' shell.

When I was in French Polynesia I was given polished shells like the one you have pictured with each pearl purchase. They are all as colorful as the one you have pictured. I also saw the same polished shells for sale in some shops for about $10 each, again all quite colorful. Perhaps they are all like that under their shaggy exterior. ?
Jean

When I was in French Polynesia I was given polished shells like the one you have pictured with each pearl purchase. They are all as colorful as the one you have pictured. I also saw the same polished shells for sale in some shops for about $10 each, again all quite colorful. Perhaps they are all like that under their shaggy exterior. ?
Jean

Exactly! Apparently, it's a lot of work to grind off the outer shell and polish it without breaking off pieces from the edges. ;)

Exactly! Apparently, it's a lot of work to grind off the outer shell and polish it without breaking off pieces from the edges. ;)
Yes, this was my caveat upon posting the picture, that we must assume the hinge was discarded, since the polished shell does not resemble the shape of P. Margaritifera. That leaves us to trust the sources, which of course would seem unimpeachable (Robert Wan, GIA), assuming that the shell was provided as P. Margaritifera. And if it were not, then we would certainly all be asking what shell it was!

Jean is right. They sell the trimmed and polished shells in Tahiti and I received a couple as gifts from Robert Wan.

I meant to keep one, but they looked like something a man would like, so I gave the last one to the biker dude who used to do my hair. <sigh>

I saw some in Tucson, so I'll get another one next year! ;)

It is the combination of two things I love the best!!!!! It is poetry for me.

I love those! I think I'll have to add it to my wishlist, but I prefer the smaller octupus to the larger one. I think the second is a little overpowering to the actual pearl (although, this could be used to offset the appearnce of a lesser quality pearl). Adorable!

Back