octopus bale

What is that octopus' name? We already have an Octavia. ;) AND he is holding a pearl Octavia would lust for!

Well, she thinks it's superb. And she says she wouldn't mind if he was Octavian. ;)

Gee, silversea and GemGeek you have far better talent for naming than I. I was thinking of something much more prosaic like Ralph or Hubert. :D

Jean,

The octopus is quite wonderful! Thanks for sharing! I have a yellow gold gecko with a ~7mm what-I-think-is-akoya in its mouth that your octopus reminds me of.

I like Poseidon for a name. A friend of mine once had a stuffed octopus she called Inkie. Along those veins, you could call him Blackie, in part honor of the 'black pearl' he holds. But the second two names aren't nearly as important sounding as Poseidon (or Octavia). :p

Carol

Jean,

The octopus is quite wonderful! Thanks for sharing! I have a yellow gold gecko with a ~7mm what-I-think-is-akoya in its mouth that your octopus reminds me of.

I like Poseidon for a name. A friend of mine once had a stuffed octopus she called Inkie. Along those veins, you could call him Blackie, in part honor of the 'black pearl' he holds. But the second two names aren't nearly as important sounding as Poseidon (or Octavia). :p

Carol

Hi, Carol,
Let's see a picture of your gecko!
Jean

Jean,

The little guy! He has no name, either. When I got it, I was given the story that geckos are prey animals so they have to keep moving their nests & eggs, so this is very symbolic of an egg. I've researched that and can find no evidence there is any truth to it, but I fell for the little guy regardless. My husband is amused that you can see the ring flash and the window in the pearl. Now I know how everyone is excited by pearlflections!

I do love that second pearl you got for your inkster!

Attachments

• gecko.jpg
    gecko.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 41
Love the gecko! And I love the octopus, too! My friend Leslie has a lot of jewelry, but my favorite is a 15mm white south sea pearl held by a huge white gold octopus. Each leg terminates in a different tiny faceted gemstone. It's by the designer Onofrio D'Oro. If Leslie still lived in San Diego, I'd post a photo. She lives in Seattle now.

Thanks for posting the terrific photos. ;)

Great gecko, gravityalwayswins! I love the realism and it's a nice story true or not. GemGeek, get your friend to post a picture of that octopus. Perhaps we could start a forum of unusual pearl settings.
Best wishes,
Jean

My friend Leslie has a lot of jewelry, but my favorite is a 15mm white south sea pearl held by a huge white gold octopus. Each leg terminates in a different tiny faceted gemstone. It's by the designer Onofrio D'Oro. If Leslie still lived in San Diego, I'd post a photo. She lives in Seattle now.
If Leslie doesn't feel like joining/posting, she's welcome to stop by our office next week and we'll set up our super-duper Sky Mall photo box and give it a go. Pattye knows the way!

That gecko is so darling! A real conversation piece! And it would be marvelous to see a photo of Leslie's octopus with the gemstones. Blaire, will you be in Seattle any time soon?

Yes, I can agree that it is quite easy to find the way to Steve and Almudena's location---not far off I-5.

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Great idea to send Leslie over for a good photo! PM your info and I'll see if she can do it! ;)

As for coming up to Seattle, I'm planning on it, but it will have to wait for a few months...

Love the gecko! And I love the octopus, too! My friend Leslie has a lot of jewelry, but my favorite is a 15mm white south sea pearl held by a huge white gold octopus. Each leg terminates in a different tiny faceted gemstone. It's by the designer Onofrio D'Oro. If Leslie still lived in San Diego, I'd post a photo. She lives in Seattle now.
Blaire, you have nice friends! Leslie managed to stop by our office today, and there was enough diffuse light on an overcast day to get some decent color. The 18kyg Tahitian piece was her original acquisition, followed by the SS18kwg. Both impressive!

Leslie also showed me the Eyris Blue mab?s she acquired when you were there together, and we shot an 8mm piece together with a nice Tahitian peacock she plans to match it with?

Attachments

• Sherman-PG.jpg
    Sherman-PG.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 44
OMG the white gold octopus is WONDERFUL. I like the tiny diamonds in the tentacles!

Wow! Showstoppers!! Great job on the photos, Steve! Mabe and Tahitian are truly gorgeous---can't wait to see what comes of that marriage-----Leslie, we strongly approve of your taste in pearls

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Yeah, Leslie told me on the phone that the stones were all white diamonds. The white octopus is still my favorite, and they are HUGE. It would have been good to put a ruler or a dime in the photo for size reference. The designer, Onofrio D'Oro, is in New York and I highly recommend him.

Great job Steve, and thanks for sharing Leslie's jewels. Thanks Leslie, YOU ROCK! ;)

These are stunning. Beautiful metal work and setting. Your friend Leslie has fantastic taste in jewelry!

Black lip matching black abalone pearl !!? How's that happened?

They aren't an exact match -- I would say that their colors are highly complementary. If you throw in another stone, say, one fabulous top grade emerald Leslie has been hoarding, then it would be a dream pendant! ;)

They aren't an exact match -- I would say that their colors are highly complementary. If you throw in another stone, say, one fabulous top grade emerald Leslie has been hoarding, then it would be a dream pendant! ;)

Is Leslie interested in joining in the forum discussions? It sounds like she's got a good eye and some real experience collecting to share...

Black lip matching black abalone pearl !!? How's that happened?
I did a quick internet search for a shell image of P. Margaritifera showing nacre coloration that hinted at the production of the blue, green and peacock range of black pearls. Got more than I was looking for in the image below of a shell from the Tuamotus supplied by Robert Wan, from a 1999 paper on the nature of pearl iridescence by Y. Liu, J. E. Shigley and K. N. Hurwit of the GIA, published by the Optical Society of America.

The polishing process seems to have removed the hinge from the shell, which is illuminated by argon ion laser—effect not specified. The paper does state that it is an 'exceptional' shell.

Attachments

• P.MargaritiferaShell.jpg
    P.MargaritiferaShell.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Leslie said she joined, but hasn't figured out how to navigate yet. In a few days, when she gets through her backlog of work, we'll do a telephone tutorial.

Heidi, I agree, Leslie has killer taste in jewelry. She has a morganite necklace and earring set that occasionally makes appearances in my dreams. ;)

And Leslie was my roommate on the big pearl tour with Jeremy, so she's seen enough pearls to warrant inclusion here, for sure! ;)

Back