not sure what kind of pearl I have

Elenayak

Community member
20130930_131340.jpg20130930_131320.jpg I have purchased this many yars ago in San Fransisco at the Pearl Factory. I am not sure what this may be. It almost looks like a half pearl, however the back is not flat, it appears slightly sherical and translusent. I have this pearl for may be 20 years, and it has very high luster on both sides. I will appreciate any comments. Thank you!

Interesting pearl.

This presents as lustrous on one side, an off round shape with mixed inclusions. From the back, a graduated translucency is evident ranging from white to grey.

Even without microscopy, a moderate amount of calcite is visible within the structure.

These are features typical in pearls from mussels, not necessarily pearl oysters. I would speculate this is freshwater in origin, perhaps from an early farm operation or USA river mussel.

Looks like a mabe pearl. They are grown by attaching implants to the shell. When they are harvested, the implant is removed, the pocket is filled with resin, and a piece of mother of pearl is used to finish the back. You can see that the back is mother of pearl. Very pretty.

My thoughts too (well, blister not necessarily mabe) as the back looks like the prismatic layers of shells (or shell nuclei, if you will). Once cut away, it's polished round.

I too believe it is a mabe, and the setting is pretty.

DK :)

Mabe implants are typically made of plastic and it is usual for the mop back to be slightly domed. Blisters that are left whole usually have a shallow rim left to hold the pearl together. :)

Here is my mabe pendant and one blister earring.
The mabe has the insert removed and filled with resin and a mother-of-pearl backing.
The blister leaves a rim around the pearl. The insert is not disturbed as it is cut and polished, leaving the shell as a backing.
The mabe process is more expensive and more desirable, but blister pearls are more affordable. Why not have both?

bb pearls front.jpg
bb pearls back.jpg

And a pendant. Love the Pteria penguin!

bb pendant.jpg

A hundred years ago, people only dreamed about owning the pearls we easily buy today. Amazing riches! :)

That is a beautiful enhancer.

GG, Love the pendant on the necklace. Blister? Thanks for pointing out the difference. I purchase a bunch of stuff and now that I am getting back on my feet, I can go through them all. I purchased some mabe pearls but they were suppose to be 12MM but measures at 14 1/2 which I think is too big for earrings. I'll add some photos. The ones that confuse me are the dark ones, they are suppose to be mabe pearls too?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 33
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 41
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 29
That is a beautiful enhancer.

GG, Love the pendant on the necklace. Blister? Thanks for pointing out the difference. I purchase a bunch of stuff and now that I am getting back on my feet, I can go through them all. I purchased some mabe pearls but they were suppose to be 12MM but measures at 14 1/2 which I think is too big for earrings. I'll add some photos. The ones that confuse me are the dark ones, they are suppose to be mabe pearls too?

Yes, the pendant is a blister pearl. I'm betting Pattye will recognize the seller just from seeing one pendant. A Gemfaire purchase!
Can you see if you can get closer photos of the dark pearls? I can't make out what they are. :)

Gosh, GG, sorry to let you down, but not certain the source of your pretty pendant from Gem Faire. If John Tu was selling these, it was before I discovered him!

CharmedOne, your dark pearls are freshwater mabes, dyed. Sometimes you can see the button shaped insert from the back. They seem to be cut from the shell and edges polished, not resin filled like the ones finished with a mop back. A few years back these were widely available, inexpensive, and dyed in many colors.

The blisters are from Pearlbella, which does many trade shows and is run by the nicest man. :)

Back