Not ebay, but similar auction site. Are these dyed freshwater, or....?

I've had good luck with very hot water; putting the earring in a glass of water in the microwave; then soak in Acetone. After each step I pull gently and steadily on the pearl ... a few rotations of these three steps has always worked.

Katbran isn't acetone gonna affect the pearl's quality?
Acetone is safe for real pearls.

I agree. Acetone can attack only dying, but never nacre, with a little remark : this solvent remove also water, a well known effect on nails when we use it to remove nail enamel, and conchyoline don't like to be dried, like nails ( that's nearly the same organic component). So, it is prudent to bath pearls in water after treatment with acetone.
Acetone is very dangerous :Exposure to high levels of acetone can cause death, coma, unconsciousness, seizures, and respiratory distress. It can damage your kidneys and the skin in your mouth. Breathing moderate-to-high levels of acetone for short periods of time can cause nose, throat, lung, and eye irritation.23 Aug 2017.
Prolonged exposure to lower levels can kill (ie overnight in a closed room)
I don't agree, pearlescence : acetone can irritate eyes, sure, and make troubles of consciousness only at very very high levels of exposure, but its hazardous level of general exposure is 2400mg/m3 of air, comparatively, dangerous level of ethanol is 1900 mg/m3, so, usual alcohol is more dangerous than acetone. Our organism produce acetone itself.
I have never read acetone can kill someone, but to be drawned in, maybe. What you are describing looks more like trichlorethylene damages.
The greatest danger, with acetone, that's its vapors are heavy, and stay back, just upon the floor, in a closed room. Then, vapors concentration is hidden despite hazardous levels which can easily catch fire.
In french version, Wikipedia signals some of the effects you notice, but in experimentation at high levels of exposure with animals, and says that it doesn't know if that can be observed on humans. Wikipedia don't speak of death. Of course, acetone is not good to make a jacuzzi, but I repeat it's one of less hazardous solvents. Just take truly care about fire.
Talking of trichloroethylene, this very hazardous solvent is forbidden for sale to private customers, now, in Europe. It was a component of famous sticks which were "sniffed" before, to cause so much damages to youth (killing neurons).
Last edited:
Modifying my above post to be clearer, wiping pearls with acetone is safe for the pearls. You can wipe pearls with acetone to remove glue or marker. I agree that it's a good idea to wipe the acetone off with with a dampened cloth afterward.

Acetone, or any volatile chemicals, should only be used in a well-ventilated area and exposure time should be limited-- it's only prudent.
Last edited by a moderator: