Not ebay, but similar auction site. Are these dyed freshwater, or....?

s3rndpt

Sometimes you can find treasures on the Goodwill Auction side, but I am mystified by these. Are they tahitians? Dyed freshwaters? I wish I wasn't still so clueless about pearls still. Sometimes it's obvious what they are, but some, like these, I just don't have enough knowledge to figure it out. And I am not paying over $100 for dyed freshwaters, LOL.

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/52087446

Attachments

• pearls.jpg
    pearls.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 43
  • blackpearlclasp.jpg
    blackpearlclasp.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 46
What Lilliefuzzysocks posted looks like real Tahitian pearls.

Strange pendant, lilliefuzzysocks, if its pearl is dyed, that's truly a good fake of tahitian. And yet, setting is a rough foundry work and bail thin like a cigarette's paper. Cheap or not cheap? More, in addition with earrings?
If these pearls are tahitian's, that's less expensive than usual price of this number of such perfectly spherical pearls on wholesale...

Last edited:
I agree that that the strand is dyed freshwater pearls, and lillifuzzysocks' listing looks like real Tahitians.
Eric, it's an auction so the final price has not been decided yet.

I agree, Eric. The pendant finding looks rough and the bail appears to be a repair addition. It's a shame how badly some jewelry is treated. The pearl could be soaked off and put on something nicer though.

The settings are made to a price. Plenty of people want 14ct gold but want to pay silver price, so the findings are wafer thin. It's not new or unusual.

lilliefuzzysocks link certainly look like very nice Tahitians with an inexpensive poorly finished 14kt pendant finding . It's not that hard to get a pearl off but it just takes time if they are really really stuck. Eventually it will come off. Certainly need to be careful of the pin and not twist too much. Be interesting to know the final price.

Mmmh, Katbran, looking at the setting of the pendant, if pearl is sticked with epoxy (I beg it's not set on a pin, too much difficult to make by such wrong foundry process), that means metal would be heated up than 230°F, not a good treatment for the pearl. Without to talk of removing glue on the pearl itself... But this work is so rough that maybe used glue is also worst quality.

Last edited:
Eric, We have a product called Attack that will dissolve just about anything you throw at it. I have a few things soaking today that I put in yesterday.

attack.jpg

Thank you for sharing, lilliefuzzysocks.
I have found chemical composition of this product: diméthylformamide, graded as dangerous for foetus in Europe, and dichloromethane, graded as carcinogenic in Europe, too.
These substances are not authorized for sale to private customers, here, even very difficult to buy for professional uses. So you can remove polymerized epoxy, not me, but please, take care, a bit........
This is an american link about hazardous health informations on this product (we are more severe in Europe):
https://www.riogrande.com/content/Attack-Adhesive-Remover-MSDS-pdf

Last edited:
Eric, They are soaking outside my home, inside a glass jar which is inside a ziplock plastic sack. I use gloves and a spoon to remove them from the liquid.

Many communities have a place to take hazardous materials for proper disposal.

Many communities have a place to take hazardous materials for proper disposal.

I wish that, Pearl Dreams. In Europe, experiment has shown it's very difficult to manage this kind of hazardous substances, mostly to trust people and industries to make it well. The result has been to forbidden their use to private customers, and to make truly hard rules and controls of use by industries.

Back