New beader looking for feedback.

Zakkala

Community member
Hiya folks,

I'm new (as demonstrated by my post count!). Hello everyone!

I've always wanted a pearl necklace and bracelet, but could never justify buying them. However, I'm off on a Cunard cruise later in the year and thought that might be the justification I was looking for, so I started researching. After finding this site, I realised that it would be even more fun if I tried to make them myself - although I've never made any jewellery before. So, I ordered myself some cheap pearls and set about knotting and on Friday night finished my first bracelet and necklace. Wore it yesterday for the first time and the silk has stretched a bit already, but that's okay - plenty of knotting practice in my future I guess (I do have some Dandyline to try as well, but want to experiment with the silk and ways of reducing the stretch etc). I've got many more cheap AA+ pearls on order from different sources to understand the variety of quality available from different vendors on the same classification (I'm feeling a bit obsessive!) so would appreciate feedback on what I've done so far - any comments on the quality of the pearls, the knotting, the photography, the matching, anything really, it's all welcome to help me improve.

So, here goes...some photos of my first bits and pieces. The pearls are classed as AA+* by orientalpearls.net where I got them from (I have researched a bit on pearl classification but could do with feedback on whether these do seem to be AA+* or not so I have a benchmark in mind and can expand my knowledge). The silk is Gudebrod size E, pre-stretched (looped and hung on the back of the door with a shoe dangling off them for 24 hours!) and then conditioned with thread heaven. The knots are single overhand and the findings are sterling silver. I haven't made the earrings yet as can't decide on style. Let me know what you think about the work so far.

* actually, only the half drilled pearls are AA+; see later in thread for detail!

Attachments

• Half Drilled for earrings.JPG
    Half Drilled for earrings.JPG
    18.7 KB · Views: 29
  • Strands.JPG
    Strands.JPG
    19.8 KB · Views: 33
  • Close up of strands.JPG
    Close up of strands.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 31
  • Finished pieces.JPG
    Finished pieces.JPG
    20.3 KB · Views: 34
  • Finished pieces 2.JPG
    Finished pieces 2.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 30
  • Close up of toggles.JPG
    Close up of toggles.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 32
  • Close up of knots.JPG
    Close up of knots.JPG
    21.1 KB · Views: 28
  • Close up of knots 2.JPG
    Close up of knots 2.JPG
    19.4 KB · Views: 32
  • Neck.JPG
    Neck.JPG
    15.9 KB · Views: 33
  • wrist.JPG
    wrist.JPG
    6.6 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Hi Zakkala,

Welcome! Congrats on your work! Good for you for taking the plunge!! The knotting work looks terrific and I like your choice of the toggle.

I would say the pearls are pretty and lustrous, but have too many little surface irregularities for AA+, although I don't know how that company defines their pearl grades. There is no universal grading system.

I like to make dangle earrings with leverback (for security) and a little movement. Look forward to seeing more of your work!

Hi Pattye!

Thanks for the feedback. Yep, that's what I thought about the pearls too, but with no experience I wasn't sure if I was just being too picky. It'll be interesting to see what AA+ from the other suppliers looks like - at least I should be able to benchmark the different suppliers against each other, for future ordering.

As for earrings, yep, I think I'll be making some dangly ones - I haven't really worn earrings for years (I have my ears pierced multiple times and just tend to leave my standard ball closure rings in) but used to love dangly earrings so think I'll take that route; probably make a few with some of the other pearls I've got on order, for a bit of practice.

Hello Zakkala,

The knotting looks very neat- well done! How clever of you to pre-stretch the silk. I haven't come across that idea in my reading yet, so I was pleased to see it.

I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of your purchases.

Last edited:
Hi Zakkala
Welcome again! Great job. You are a natural knotter! A totally qualified lowly beader. Great to see your work.

Great job - gimp and everything. Good for you! I love the juxtaposition of the freewheeling tattoo with the dainty pearls. ;)

I love the juxtaposition of the freewheeling tattoo with the dainty pearls. ;)

Yeah, I think the combination makes a real statement - just not sure what it is!

Thanks for the feedback folks - glad the knotting is okay for a first attempt (must admit, I had a few false starts and knots in the wrong place before I got a rhythm going).

Wore them again yesterday and I don't think the stretching is any worse, so maybe if I hang the silk with a heavier weight for the re-string, that might do the trick (a pair of shoes per silk strand this time!). Maybe I'll wet it first. Hmmm, decisions, decisions!

Hi Zakkala -
I admire your work!! Can't wait to see what else you do. Your knots look really nice - tight and well placed in the pearls. Welcome to the obsession. You are in good company!

Hi Zakkala -
I admire your work!! Can't wait to see what else you do. Your knots look really nice - tight and well placed in the pearls. Welcome to the obsession. You are in good company!

Thank you - I look forward to developing a very healthy obsession!

Well, I'm here to correct something from my original post! On answering a question for someone, I've gone back to the receipt for these pearls and although the half drilled ones are marked as AA+ on the receipt, the strands seem not to be - they seem to be cheaper strands without a classification (ordered a load of gold findings with the pearls so it wasn't immediately obvious that the prices were different to what I expected - that and the fact that I was mentally converting all the dollars to pounds and my mentally conversion skills are clearly lacking!). So, that's corrected.

Not sure what happened in the ordering process as I definitely intended to get the same quality for both necklace / bracelet and earrings - either I've ordered wrong or there's been a technical glitch. No matter, doesn't bother me since they're just for practice - actually, it explains why the qualtiy of the half drilled pearls is noticeably better and makes me feel better about thinking the strands didn't look AA+. To be honest, since they're my first pearls, I love them regardless!

Also - teaches me an important lesson about checking electronic receipts!

And it makes me very excited about the other pearls I've ordered since the are actually noted as AA+...I can't wait to see them now, if they're likely to be better than these...oooohhhhh!

Last edited:
I went to orientalpearls.net and it looks like your strands are in their category AA; even though quality isn't listed with the picture, it's listed in the text. Same goes for the other sizes.

They advertise AA+, AAA and AAA+ with the icon size pics, but not the AA.

I remember buying a strand from orientalpearls about 6 years ago, an AA. My first freshwater strand. I loved it and still have it, but now I know it is a bit eggy and the luster, though nice, is not the best.

I have had a history with Lan Toma since. I was dumb enough to write a thankyou and said I loved it. She posted it on her site until I had to get very firm with her a couple of years ago. It all unfolded on some thread over here-can't remember which one.

They aren't very dishonest, but you get what you pay for with a "slightly" inflated sales pitch.

Thanks for the feedback on the grading - it's good to get loads of input while I'm learning.

I'm still waiting for my other 'proper' pearls to arrive, but I wanted to try out some wire wrapping (with a view to eventually making a tin cup necklace at some point) so picked up some carnelian beads and some 'practice' pearls from a bead shop (actually, I sent my husband while he was out picking up a new amp for his guitar - bless him!).

So, this weekend has been spent in my own little beading world. Yesterday was spent re-stringing my necklace and bracelet as they had stretched a bit, and today was spent messing about with some silver plated craft wire and my practice beads and pearls - great fun.

Anyway, the necklace had stretched about an inch or so - mostly in the first day of wear, and the bracelet had similar stretch (although it was exacerbated by one of my cats getting a claw stuck in one of the knots!) and was a bit big anyway, so I restrung them both, taking a couple of beads out of the bracelet while I was at it. Photos of areas of stretch below. I've tried a different method of pre-stretching the silk this time - stretched it wet and doubled the weight, so I'll wear them for a comparable length of time (7 days or so) to the last time and see what the result is.

My wire wrapping was good fun, but very poor quality - need to really tighten up on technique as everything is uneven (if anyone can recommend any good sites or youtube vids, it would be appreciated). I hestitate to post photos of the results, but thought I might as well as hopefully I'll be able to look back on these first attempts in a few months and see some progress! All feedback, hints and tips gratefuuly received, as always!

Attachments

• stretched bracelet.JPG
    stretched bracelet.JPG
    16.1 KB · Views: 38
  • stretched necklace.JPG
    stretched necklace.JPG
    15.4 KB · Views: 40
  • finished practice set.JPG
    finished practice set.JPG
    18.5 KB · Views: 40
  • bracelet.JPG
    bracelet.JPG
    17.9 KB · Views: 32
  • earrings.JPG
    earrings.JPG
    17.1 KB · Views: 31
  • link.JPG
    link.JPG
    17.7 KB · Views: 31
  • practice supplies.JPG
    practice supplies.JPG
    18.9 KB · Views: 34
Oh, I'm annoyed, just wiped out my reply, ugh!

Second try,here goes,

Zakkala, LOVE the combination of pearls and carnelian! You are off to a great start! I did find sterling wire easier to work with than the practice wire I bought. Really, practice is the key------------

Two of the books in my library are The Basics of Bead Stringing by Debbie Kanan, and All Wired Up by Mark Lareau. I initially took a class at a local bead store that was helpful, too. The larger book stores carry lots of beading magazines, a combination of designs to copy and techniques used to create them, fun to browse thru, if not purchase.

Your practice pearls have nice luster, your spouse has a good eye!

Hi Zakkala,

Wire wrapping just requires practice as Pattye already noted. I think that Mark Lareau's book gives about the best illustrations and instructions available. Welcome to a whole new world :)
Marianne

Are you using two threads to knot? If so, be sure to pull them apart and use them to get the pearls really tight up against the last knot. I also tug the entire string from the ends, just to make sure there isn't a little kink inside the last pearl.

My wire wrapping was good fun, but very poor quality - need to really tighten up on technique as everything is uneven (if anyone can recommend any good sites or youtube vids, it would be appreciated).

Hi zakkala,

Great work. Really beautiful.

Now guys and gals out there you must know of a U-Tube site where wire wrapping for tin cup necklaces and bracelets is available. I am sure it would help a lot of us. Come on put your thinking caps on :)

Since I lost most of my fingernails I have a lot of trouble doing such work and Barry (hubby) needs a little help, video wise, to help him out. I too would really appreciate a video site that shows the easy ways to do it. Want to do excellent wire wrapping. It is easy enough using silver or gold filled but 18kt gold is a different matter and no one can afford to mess it up and have to start again, losing valuable gold. Ugg.

Sarah does excellent wire wrapping maybe she knows of a site or could give advice.

Dawn
eBay Seller ID dawncee333

What is the name of Mark Lareau's book. Anyone know?

Dawn
eBay Seller ID dawncee333

Back