Need some help...structural

JerseyPearl

Hi everyone! I have a plan for a necklace using my pastel Tahitians and little bezel set gemstones. I want to do it "tin cup" style, however, I want to show the pearls in random groups of one, two or three pearls. So it would be chain-pearl,pearl,pearl-chain-bezel stone-chain-pearl-chain-bezel stone-chain-pearl,pearl-chain-etc. My question is, should I wire wrap each grouping of pearls with one loop on each end, or should I wire wrap each pearl individually (three pearl stations, chain, bezel stone)? Here is a photo of the rough layout. The spaces are where I will attach chain. IMG_3307.jpg

Thanks! I am doing this in 14k yellow gold btw. And the stones are amethyst, peridot, lemon quartz, citrine, smokey quartz, and blue topaz. The pearls are all around 9mm. I am most worried about the triple stations being too much for the wire. I am planning on using 24 gauge wire...should I bump up to 22 gauge?

Last edited:
What a fun design! Personally, I feel I'd prefer the flexibility of each pearl wire wrapped separately, though it will be more work and slightly more expensive. Twenty four gauge should be strong enough. Twenty two gauge in gold is pretty stiff to work with, much stiffer than the equivalent gauge in silver. That's been my experience.

So pretty!!

Here are a few of my tin cups. You can see the differences in loops small/bigger/noticeable), wire size and chains all of which are a design element. Sarah is working on another one for me that is very different but will have small akoyas with round bezel set genstones and also prong set stone stations. I should have it by the ruckus ;)

IMG_0826.jpg

The white ss are 10 to 11 mm. The white baroque akoya are 9.5 to 10 mm. I can't find my calipers to check the size of the smaller white pearls. Notice on the gemstone necklace the loops mirror the size of the bezel size loops. The all gemstone necklace is almost 160 karats.
IMG_0828.jpg

Personally I like the separation of the pearls each being wire wrapped.

I tore this page out of instyle in 2013 and it has given me lots of ideas ;)

IMG_0831.jpg

Thank you all so much! Wow...such wonderful ideas...and that inspiration page is really helpful! I usually work with 24 gauge half hard 14k wire, and I've gotten pretty good at making tight little loops...I was a tad worried that three pearls in a row would be too tough on the wire. Only one way to really tell! I do plan on using jump rings to connect the bezel set stones (which are of different sizes) to the chain. These pastel Tahitians just screamed for these pastel colored stones. I know this will end up being at least 36" long when done. There are so many fun connector links available to play with and newberry, your inspiration page is really helpful! I so wish I were going to the ruckus...but I have an important commitment followed by weekend guests...next year definitely!

Really pretty design, JP! I think I prefer individually wrapping the pearls, but still have them as you have designed. It does change the look though, and will be more effort to complete. I also 24g half-hard, but in silver. ..haven't done any wrapping with 14k yet.

Hi JP. Love your layout. My concern with wrapping three pearls that size as one is they will lie as a straight piece, or the wire will bend and if you want to wear the piece in different positions, you have that curve to deal with. So, I would vote for wrapping them individually and have fluid movement no matter how you position the piece on your neck. Hope that makes sense.

I love the idea..I was just looking at a tiffany necklace of the little bezel gems and thinking how cute it looks. Personally I would used some cheap wire and try it out both ways..just 8 inches or so... If you keep them together then the little black or clear silicone bumpers are great as they just look like a knot and add a touch of space..which I think you need. But I do think you will do best with wire wrapping the groups of pearls individually.

I did one once with white pearls and tried stacking them in groups of three in places but that part of the necklace becomes stiff as Marianne and PearlDreams have both pointed out. It looked great just hanging off a hook...but didn't work as well when worn..with the stiff bits looking........stiff......

I do love this idea ! Where did you find the little connectors? I've seen bigger ones but not tiny ones...so cute!

It's really beautiful. Did you bezel set the gems yourself or did they come like that?

Back