need help with new project

linda.wald

I had a strand of baroque akoyas that were badly in need of cleaning and restringing. I cleaned them, and cut apart the pearls. Unfortunately for 3 of the pearls I couldn't get the thread out of them. Two have thread I can grab, but it seems stuck. Maybe one of the knots got inside? i have tried pulling and also tried a pin to push out the thread with no luck. Any suggestions? Thank you!
pearls with stuck thread.jpg

Sorry, but I think you will have to drill it out. I have had this problem and nothing worked but drilling it.

There might be glue in the holes holding the thread. You could try soaking them in hot water to see if that might loosen it. Have you tried gripping the threads with a flat nose plier right next to the pearl and then wiggling gently as you pull?

This always seem to happen to me on at least two pearls on every rope. I always suspect the last person to string them used glue on a knot.

I always try to never use glue on the knots, and I bury the end inside the next pearl, but of course, that happens after fact.

I have used Endodontic hand files to work into the hole. (Used for root canal therapy) They are also handy for enlarging a hole if you don't have a mechanical drill. You work it into the hole twist and pull and it will eventually work the cord out.

I've tried pulling, with and without tweezers, at least on the 2 I could grab. I don't have a drill, but if the endodontic hand files sound good. Do you think it would be possible using an ordinary hand reamer? I tried it a little bit but didn't seem to make much progress.

Using a hand drill is very easy. Getting hold of a 0.7mm drill bit will be the hardest part. The bit fits in any household drill. Then the only important thing to remember is to hold the bit and drill rock steady and straight. The bit DOES NOT BEND. it will snap if you try to flex it at all.
But it will have that thread out in a second or two.

It's expensive - I pay that much for ten! Since all you are doing is drilling out thread you don't need a fancy bit..although it will always come in useful for enlarging drill holes when you are knotting

you don't have any sort of home drill at all ? If not and you are planning on doing more pearl work then get a small inexpensive drill and order in some bits. A hobby shop might carry small ones. But there a million places on line that sell small drill bit sets ..from .7-1.2 or so.

I've got a Dremel ..works like a charm on all the little redrill projects. There are less expensive ones ..just something small and easy to hold.

Get safety goggles ..never drill without eye protection...never.

you don't have any sort of home drill at all ? If not and you are planning on doing more pearl work then get a small inexpensive drill and order in some bits. A hobby shop might carry small ones. But there a million places on line that sell small drill bit sets ..from .7-1.2 or so.

I've got a Dremel ..works like a charm on all the little redrill projects. There are less expensive ones ..just something small and easy to hold.

Get safety goggles ..never drill without eye protection...never.

Unfortunately I don't have a steady hand or superior fine muscle control (you should see me try to thread a needle). I ordered the endodontic files and will give them a try (thank you, Pearly-Whites!). Or maybe I'll ask my hubby to give it a try since he is much better at that kind of thing. It does sound nice and fast.

Thanks Wendy! I've always used a batter powered bead reamer before this but it tapers, so I end up with a wider hole than I wanted.

You might try putting the pearls in a cup of hot water for a few minutes. This has worked for me.

Riogrande sells a pearl clamp if you need to hang on to the pearl. With the files, you push, twist and pull...repeat. Fingers can get a little tired. Good luck!

Back