need help with new project

A wooden ring clamp (leather lined) works great and no worries about scratching the pearl and comfortable to hold.

Life is too short to faff around with reamers!
To steady the drill, rest it on a work surface. Hold pearl between index and thumb. Keep the drill still and move the pearl to the bit, not the other way around. Let the pearl feed itself onto the bit - the bit will follow the hole as long as you keep it aligned. This works for removing silk and for enlarging the hole. You may need to drill from both ends. It also works for removing a broken peg.
Amazing how quickly you learn not to drill your thumb!
There's a short video of me doing this with my old big drill (I have a smaller but more powerful one now) via the P website

I bought one of those bead holders and it sat around in a bag somewhere for about a year. When I got around to actually using it I was kicking myself for letting it sit . They are very very inexpensive and I just stick a bit of leather on each side and it's perfect for holding most pearls. I bought a scrap of leather from a sewing shop years ago and just snip a bit off every now and then. The suede side is good for polishing.

I got one of them with the hot water and endodontic files, then gave up. I tried to find drills locally, but ended up ordering them. They arrived yesterday, and today my husband made short work of the last 2 pearls. Luckily I already had a ring clamp and locking tweezers. Now I have another question: it looks like the problem might have been glue. How many of you use glue? Is it reasonably safe if I don't? I use the single thread and go back through 3 pearls. Thank you!

How many of you use glue? Is it reasonably safe if I don't? I use the single thread and go back through 3 pearls. Thank you!
I guess it depends what you are threading on) if it's silk - than back threading 3 pearls and finishing under the forth without the knot is usually enough. I've recently started using Beader's Secret thread and started using glue more often, as polyester thread is more slippery and in some cases a knot can come loose or even unknotted without the glue. I think it's more about the amount of glue) there is nothing bad in a reasonable quantity of glue) without it you might risk getting a big gap between the pearls if the knot gets open (unknots), but hardly you would loose any pearls because of it)

I guess it depends what you are threading on) if it's silk - than back threading 3 pearls and finishing under the forth without the knot is usually enough. I've recently started using Beader's Secret thread and started using glue more often, as polyester thread is more slippery and in some cases a knot can come loose or even unknotted without the glue. I think it's more about the amount of glue) there is nothing bad in a reasonable quantity of glue) without it you might risk getting a big gap between the pearls if the knot gets open (unknots), but hardly you would loose any pearls because of it)

I just use my thread zapper...no glue. It works very well on Beader's Secret.

I just use my thread zapper...no glue. It works very well on Beader's Secret.
That's another option I haven't thought of) is it one of those zappers that burn the thread to make it melt a little bit?..

Finally finished! Thank you to everyone for the help!
restrung_baroque2.jpg

I"ve learned a lot from this thread about glue and beading. I've restrung a few strands but haven't (knock on wood) had this problem yet. You did a great job on your baroque akoyas. Have fun wearing them!

My video about reaming would work

My video about reaming would work

Unfortunately I don't have a steady hand or superior fine muscle control (you should see me try to thread a needle). I ordered the endodontic files and will give them a try (thank you, Pearly-Whites!). Or maybe I'll ask my hubby to give it a try since he is much better at that kind of thing. It does sound nice and fast.

Check out my video in the best reaming thread. You can lay a household type drill , or any variable speed driil, dremel etc on a book and use Irwin gripper (finger saver) to ream out pearl.

Quick and easy.

Lloyd

Last edited:
Back