Need help identifying pearls with platinum and diamond clasp

Chuckdeezel

20160307_184043.jpg
20160307_184154.jpg
20160307_184107.jpg
20160307_184116.jpg
20160307_184052.jpg
20160306_210348.jpg
These pearls where found at a Fleamarket. They definitely appear to be at least 100 years old with the clasp being hand made of platinum and 2 emerald cut .25 carat vvs1 diamonds and 2 .15 carat diamonds. What are your opinions on the pearls , natural wilds?

Welcome to the forum! The pearls appear to be older cultured, in need of cleaning. There are other folks on here that are better at IDing older cultured pearls. It was good that you included the close up of the bead hole. The clasp is fantastic, what a great flea market find!

I really need to figure out what flea markets you all go to. When I go to a flea market, all I find is, well, fleas.

Same here.

And I'm going to second the comment about the clasp. Clasps are expensive. You could easily recreate the look of the necklace with better pearls, if the originals are past their prime. Or improve on the look.

Last edited:
wow, what a unique baguette clasp!! cool geometric design. even if the pearls don't clean up great, the clasp is a fabulous find.

Welcome, Chuckdeezel, what a great find! Akoya cultured pearls, as others have mentioned, begging for a bath! Some pearls may not be worth salvaging, but I'd restring them loosely and give them a good washing; then decide. (See the how to clean pearls thread.) Probably thick nacre on pearls from this era. Certainly the clasp is AMAZING, and of far more value than the pearls.

I've never had any luck at flea markets either, Lady D and BWeaves~lol, but we have to stay optimistic~

If the clasp is real, as in made with diamonds or even white sapphires in white gold etc., I would ditch the pearls and make a necklace using new pearls.

Love the look of clasp!

DK :)

Wow! That clasp! welcome and thank you for posting this great find :)

Moot point. I have a feeling Chuckdeezel isn't going to part with them.

What an interesting Art Deco find ! I would love to see it opened and on the reverse side.

Love the clasp! I'd love to know what kind of flea markets you attend too! As far as the pearls. I feel sorry for them. They look very neglected. I would cut them apart and restring them with just cotton thread before bathing and wipe each one to see if the bath can get some of the grime off them to give them a little more luster. Then let them dry and rephotograph. If they are still sort of flat in luster, then I'd look at replacing the pearls with better quality and toss the pearls.

Wow....plat. N diam.
Luv clasp.
Have to check pearls later as on my cell.
Not sure if the chip on the pearl is exposing the bead/ thin nacre or there is more nacre.

Looks like in the 2nd phot of the big chip that the bead is exposed so cultured & on that pearl not that thick. The pearl 2 to the right of it seems to show a thicker nacre line & whats interesting is the dirt under the nacre line. Its odd as the nacre is clean yet its dirty under the margin of it.

I saw that in my chip of my pearl under the nacre at the bottom of the pearl chip margin.

Mine is not dirt that got under it as it was there already under a fresh chip where it was not exposed to dirt.

Some pearls have tails well I call hem that when they come to a sort of a point near the drill hole area.

I too would like to see the back of the clasp & was wondering if it was marked & how you tested it for platinum?

Last edited:
Back