Natural pearls

Namiko

Community member
I inherited these pearls from my mom. She inherited them from her mother, my grandmother. My grandmother was from a very wealthy Japanese family, based in Tokyo prior to WW2 but traveling far and wide with her ambassador husband all over Asia, the Middle East and India. My mother once told me she loved to go to buy jewelry in India.

Anyway, the strand of white pearls, my mother told me were natural, "wild" pearls and I also have 12 loose pearls that look like were once part of a longer strand of pearls. I just restrung the while pearls because the original strand was broken. Also, on the original strand there were no knots in between the pearls. When I restrung them I thought knots in between the pearls would make it easier to see each pearl.

Based on what my mother told me, the pearls could be 100 years or older.

I want to find out what these pearls might be worth as I am thinking of selling them.

Attachments

• pearl1.jpg
    pearl1.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 34
  • pearl-9.jpg
    pearl-9.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 35
  • pearl10.jpg
    pearl10.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 35
  • pearl12.jpg
    pearl12.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 34
Hello Namiko.

Welcome to P-G.

This appears to be a nicely matched strand of graduated pearls. Your provenance seems reasonable, however we would require a lot more information before confirming any identification or origin.

At P-G, we are reluctant to appraise value, but will assist in ways to help you arrive at an informed determination.

For a start, we'd need better photographs using macro settings (the flat white background is correct). Of the extra pearls, please provide images of the holes, that we may see if a bead is present at the nucleus. Likewise using a point of back light, please try to capture candled images that we may look into these pearls for contrasts and inclusions. Also, please specify the size range in millimeters.

We tend to err on the side of caution. Most strands claimed as natural are not and there are many elaborate fakes. There is often confusion between natural and artificial origin and we'll help you sort this out provided you help up us with some additional tasks. Lots of photos please... the more the better, using macro settings and high resolution.

As I mentioned earlier these are nicely matched for color, size and luster. If they appear natural, you will have value, but we'd suggest a trip to the lab for certification before offering them for sale.

This is a really beautiful strand and I'm looking forward to seeing the additional photos Dave has requested. It is always great fun and very informative for everyone here to figure out if a strand is natural or cultured. Thank you for sharing!

It's so very pretty! We will enjoy seeing your photos when you are able to post them.

If this strand is almost 100 years old, it could be an original Mikimoto. He produced his first round pearls in 1916, and certainly made some strands that early, for special elite customers (and it sounds like your family was in those circles) but he did not go commercial until 1924.

If it is natural, it is extraordinary.

Either way, there is a lot of potential for value.

Thank you for the info you posted; it's very helpful to me as I try to figure out exactly what it is that I have and also really interesting to learn about pearls.
If this strand is almost 100 years old, it could be an original Mikimoto. He produced his first round pearls in 1916, and certainly made some strands that early, for special elite customers (and it sounds like your family was in those circles) but he did not go commercial until 1924.

If it is natural, it is extraordinary.

Either way, there is a lot of potential for value.

Thank you for your response. As you suggested I am trying to put together some kind of contraption to capture candled images. The size of the pearls range in size from 4mm, 4.5 mm, 5mm, 5.5 mm to 6 mm. They are on the small side but still pretty.

Hello Dave,

Please excuse me if you have already received my other email that might have been automatically been sent about 10 minutes ago, I was having trouble trying to attach pictures. Well, I finally got some candled images of the pearls. I thought it would be interesting to get some images of the pearls on the strand but then realized that maybe the silk cord would interfere with the view. I will try to get better pictures but thought I'd send what I have to start. Thanks.

Hello Dave,

Please excuse me if you have already received my other email that might have been automatically been sent about 10 minutes ago, I was having trouble trying to attach pictures. Well, I finally got some candled images of the pearls. I thought it would be interesting to get some images of the pearls on the strand but then realized that maybe the silk cord would interfere with the view. I will try to get better pictures but thought I'd send what I have to start. Thanks.

No email, yet.

I'm excited to see what you have, but don't rush needlessly. I have all the time in the world.

Yes. Reduce the size of your photo and then try posting again. It fails without saying why when the photo is too large. Right click on the photo and choose "open with". If Microsoft Office shows up, choose picture on the top menu then resize.

Hi Dave,
Sending along the candled images I snapped of my pearls below. Are they okay and can you tell anything from the images? Thanks.
pearl2.jpgpearl3.jpgpearl4.jpgpearl5.jpgpearl.7.jpgpearl1.jpg

Best,
Namiko

That's a good start! The back lighting is near perfect.

While these are not as detailed I'd need to make a stronger determination, I'm seeing markedly dissimilar contrasts at the nucleus. That's a good thing supporting natural origin. However one might be a bead (pearl4.jpg) though I'm not certain and perhaps it's just a coincidence. We may be looking at a mixed strand, but again... just an assumption at this point.

Please keep them coming, but use a macro setting that we may look a little closer.

From what I'm seeing this far, I'd encourage you to send these to the lab for x-radiography because it's greater than a 50% chance these are natural.

An impressive strand!

If these are naturals, they are the most beautiful ones I've seen. Even if they are old cultured pearls, they are truly beautiful.

You should definitely get a nice clasp for these.

Back