Natural pearl sunburst brooch

aerinha

I wanted to share my latest antique jewelry purchase. The photo is the one from the Fay Cullen website, because the brooch/pendant is still enroute to me, but I'm excited. It's 18Kt gold with a .08 diamond at the center and 54 natural pearls 1-2mm in size. It reminds me of the Tiffany lace line. What's more, seeing this brooch/pendant got me out of writer's block by sparking part of a story I was working on. Now I can't stop writing. I had to buy it since I cast is in my story.

Attachments

• pendant.jpg
    pendant.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 31
Hi Aerinha,

Beautifully done, and dainty in size I imagine. How fabulous that it inspired your writing! A real treasure, for sure!

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

They said it's 30mm so it's big enough to show up, but not huge. I'm wondering how sharp those rays are because I'll wear it as a pendant and the Victorians weren't concerned with safety.

Could it work as an enhancer? Will you have the pin removed?

The piece is very lovely! :)

Very nice! They have some great stuff on that web site.

I will keep the pin on it as I don't like to alter antique pieces. I hate even having antique rings sized and very few start out at a 5.5.

The brooch has a bail, but they didn't give measurements so I'm not sure how big a chain it will accommodate. I doubt it will fit over any of my pearls, but I'd love to see it on a strand of teeny tiny pearls (if I had such a thing). I'm hoping to wear it on one of my black cords. I bought a cameo recently from the 1920s, all set to wear it on a velvet choker, but the bail was so small it wouldn't fit over the clasp so now I wear that on a silk cord I have to tie every time I wear it, but then that's what pendants used to be worn on.

If the bail is big enough, do any of the pearl dealers out there sell 1-2mm strands?

aerinha said:
If the bail is big enough, do any of the pearl dealers out there sell 1-2mm strands?

I would think so. This is a question for beaders! ;)

Akoya keshi seem to be the smallest drilled: years back I bought from HERE for a repair project. And there are these... and lots and lots of random sources for small freshwater around 2mm.

I am so disappointed! My pretty brooch showed up and one of the pearls was missing. That certainly wasn't in the picture. I checked the box and it wasn't floating around in there. I'll have to call the seller when I get home tonight. Does anyone know if very small mm natural half pearls can be gotten? Obvioulsly I'd want them to replace the missing one or refund my money if that's not possible. Darn.

aerinha said:
Does anyone know if very small mm natural half pearls can be gotten?

The sellers should know, shouldn't they? Occasionally I see small lots recycled from old jewelry, sold for repairs. Otherwise, no clue.

The return policy stated on the seller's site sounds tougher then the usual 'no questions asked'...

I knew they had kind of a stinky return policy, but I've bought from them before with no issues. They claim to stand behind their stuff on lost stones in the first 7 days, but when I called, they acted like it was an engagement ring and had no idea I had purchased something else. They wouldn't even really talk to me, said I had to send an email. When I told them it was an antique piece and that the pearl did not seem to be in the box the guy started stammering and said it had to be there or it would not have been shipped. Well it's not in the piece and it's not in the box so someone sent it with a pearl missing.

Supposedly they are sending me a return label for fedex to send it back for repair. Am slightly nervous that I may never see it again and have issues getting a refund after this. I can tell you I am not taking store credit for damaged merchandise, my credit card company should force a full refund.

Hi Aerinha,

Hoping this turned out to your satisfaction, can you give us an update?

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Back