Natural Golden Pearl Necklace at Bonham's Fine Jewelry Auction Oct 2014

MSC

Natural Pearl Lover
I thought you guys would enjoy this: http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/22244/lot/45/

The SSEF report states that it is made of natural saltwater pearls - I wonder if it's P. maculata? I have a few pipis similar in color to these.

Attachments

• natural golden pearl necklace.jpg
    natural golden pearl necklace.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 35
wow, that's one heck of a strand of natural pearls. I'm actually surprised the estimated value is as low as it is, I would have expected 6 digits.

Fabulous natural necklace, and very special as triple strands, I wonder what date these were put together?

I suspect now that golden pearls are so highly regarded, these may go a lot higher than the estimate.

Here's an interesting thought. If you go back to Art Deco cultured strands quite a few had a distinct yellow/golden/green/bronze overtone. However the fashion from 50's/60's onward was for a very white color with pink overtones.

I guess the yellowish pearls become seconds/rejects to be bleached and post treated, meanwhile growers bred/selected for whiter pearls.

I wonder if the fashion had trended towards golden shades back in the early days of cultureds, whether selection and breeding could have produced cultured golden Akoyas that look like these?

Back