Natural Combinations

It was easy to sign up with You Tube. After uploading the videos there, I pasted the link into the text here. Voila!

As for the Etude, Mom drilled it sooooo much in order to get it up to speed, that many years after she stopped playing piano, she could still bang out the first part purely from muscle memory. I still wonder at how someone could play so many notes per second....<whew>

Wine, piano & pearls -- priceless!

It was easy to sign up with You Tube. After uploading the videos there, I pasted the link into the text here. Voila!

As for the Etude, Mom drilled it sooooo much in order to get it up to speed, that many years after she stopped playing piano, she could still bang out the first part purely from muscle memory. I still wonder at how someone could play so many notes per second....<whew>

Wine, piano & pearls -- priceless!
Re YouTube, thanks. Re notes, remember we pianists are privileged to be able to play at least ten at once?

Well, I've never been anonymous here, so yours truly becomes a pearl model?Shots are wide angle, the point being the general wearability of the pin.

The family shot (approved for publication) shows my wife wearing her platinum natural pearl necklace with SS drop centerpiece 'Poe Io Mata Nui' (a bit hidden at the angle, unfortunately). Her mother, a lifelong pearl lover from Madrid, is wearing?and loving?untreated natural multicolor baroque CFWPs from Pearl Paradise.

I was proud to wear the pin, and did experience the joy of pearls on another level. It stayed on securely through two Polish flag-waving crowd pleasers, Chopin's 'Heroic' Polonaise and 'Revolutionary' Etude.

Attachments

• VivaPolonia&Pearls.jpg
    VivaPolonia&Pearls.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 39
I take it the "concert" was a rousing success! Congratulations! What a lovely, pearly, family!

GemGeek said:

Ah, Chopin draws forth many a memory for me too. One of them being when I was a teenager and my mom found me a new piano teacher. She turned out to be a dear 97 year old Russian lady who during our first meeting, proceeded to pull a clipper from her pocket and trim to the quick, all my beautifully long fingernails. How do you protest to such a character? She lived alone in a small apartment and use to make cabbage rolls and dumplings while she listened to me play(I use the term loosely). She also had a short ruler that she had no problem employing. I had to put my hands on ice after every lesson. I begged my mom for months to deliver me from the terror of this ancient Communist music coach.

Slraep

Ah, Chopin draws forth many a memory for me too. One of them being when I was a teenager and my mom found me a new piano teacher. She turned out to be a dear 97 year old Russian lady who during our first meeting, proceeded to pull a clipper from her pocket and trim to the quick, all my beautifully long fingernails. How do you protest to such a character? She lived alone in a small apartment and use to make cabbage rolls and dumplings while she listened to me play(I use the term loosely). She also had a short ruler that she had no problem employing. I had to put my hands on ice after every lesson. I begged my mom for months to deliver me from the terror of this ancient Communist music coach.

Slraep

Excellent story! Sounds more like a nazi prison matron: You vill praktiss or you vill get ze ruler!!! :eek:

My pearly family and I very much appreciate the comments…Yes, the music was well-received, the occasional injection of positive feedback that keeps the work enjoyable.

As the thread turns…
It so happens that one of the biggest sensations in the literary world at the moment is a non-fiction work about a woman's musical challenges and love for pianos, her book 'Grand Obsession' already in its second printing at Scribner one month after release. National interviews, NYTimes praise, etc etc. It is a MUST read. Author (and environmental investigative reporter) Perri Knize will be in OUR PIANO STORE in mid-April to read excerpts to local piano nuts. I propose to include musically-inclined NCNs as well. Let's share our pearls and a little wine and music. There's even a chance of sunshine that time of year…

Anyone seriously interested may PM/EMail, we'll certainly help with planning.

Last edited:
Hi Steve,

Congrats from south of the border (OR-WA); that is, I love hearing how pearls intertwine our lives and our other interests!

The book reading event sounds terrific also, and if the date doesn't conflict with Grandkids birthdays, please count me in!

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Congrats from south of the border (OR-WA); that is, I love hearing how pearls intertwine our lives and our other interests!
Still needing to get that MOP piano keyboard (thread somewhere here) off the drawing board?

Congratulations Steve! I am sure everyone had a lot of fun!:)

Cheers,
Pernula

Hi All Pearly Forum Friends!

Per Steve Metzler:
As the thread turns?
It so happens that one of the biggest sensations in the literary world at the moment is a non-fiction work about a woman's musical challenges and love for pianos, her book 'Grand Obsession' already in its second printing at Scribner one month after release. National interviews, NYTimes praise, etc etc. It is a MUST read. Author (and environmental investigative reporter) Perri Knize will be in OUR PIANO STORE in mid-April to read excerpts to local piano nuts. I propose to include musically-inclined NCNs as well. Let's share our pearls and a little wine and music. There's even a chance of sunshine that time of year?

Yes, I took Steve up on his invitation to visit Seattle for this Event, and drove up yesterday morning! Wow, what a Terrific, Joyous Day!!

Steve and Almudena were charming and gracious hosts, took me to lunch and THEN we played in the pearls. As you all remember, Almudena wears the magnificent Pipi multi strand torsade necklace. I can tell you it is even more amazing in person. The pearls have the most gorgeous golden to cream shading throughout the necklace, and a very translucent look, set off by occasional gem rondelles of amethyst, garnet, citrine and peridot. Also the lovely Pipi necklace with platinum chain, diamond rondelles and huge SS drop, a number of abalone items, also with amazing colors, which don't show completely in the photos. And of course, Steve's Pipi and Abalone lapel pin, a stunningly perfect piece, all so beautifully designed and executed. One wants to just sit and study them! I took a few of my pearls also. And there is even more, of course! I went off shopping for a bit while they set up---in a good sized room lined with most beautiful grand pianos--which were played later in the evening by some of the guests and of course, Steve. I hardly can find words to explain the beautiful music, so especially lovely in an intimate setting like that with perhaps 60 or so others--I would go again in a minute just to hear Steve--his playing was so magnificent sounding to me!

The author, too, was excellent, I bought the book, and will look forward to reading it.

Oh yes, the amazing Keshi bracelets, well, they were both studied and admired, and I "saved" bracelet #2 from being returned to the Cook Is. We decided to name it La Almudena- perfect, don't you think!??

Pattye

What a wonderful story! What a wonderful opportunity for P-Gers to get together.
I can hardly wait to get updates on this this story! I mean I hope you all get together again with even more P-Gers next time.

Hi All Pearly Forum Friends!

Oh yes, the amazing Keshi bracelets, well, they were both studied and admired, and I "saved" bracelet #2 from being returned to the Cook Is. We decided to name it La Almudena- perfect, don't you think!??

Pattye

Ayeeee!
D'ya mean it's now yours Pattye ??

Oh, my, pictures please.
And thanks for the diary - it sounds like a wonderful day and evening.

Hi All,

Here's Steve's photo of the bracelets:

KeshiBracelets.jpg

I think he has a thread in "Show me your Pearls" with some of the other items, also in natural pearls. You might do a search on Pipi, photos of the other necklaces should come up. We didn't take any photos yesterday.

:D Yes, it has come to live at my home!!

Pattye

Sigh,
I think I actually envy you, Pattye.
May you wear it lots and lots. So glad it's not gone back to the Cooks, but, instead, found another loving home.

Thanks, Sueki,

There are some issues with the magnetic clasps not holding well, so until that is resolved, no wearing outside the house! But I've spent a lot of time trying it on today, and admiring it!

Pattye

Hi Again,

Here is a photo taken by Mia Mesa upon Stephen and Almudena's visit to PP. Steve's delightful stories about the creation of the pieces and their names are on a different thread, which I don't know how to attach, sorry. Maybe Caitlin can help me here----??
PPComposite.jpg

His amazing lapel pin is shown on page 1 of this thread.

Pattye

Thanks, Sueki,

There are some issues with the magnetic clasps not holding well, so until that is resolved, no wearing outside the house! But I've spent a lot of time trying it on today, and admiring it!

Pattye

Thank you for sharing your story! Great pianos and pearls...

I'd imagine (should I be so graced to have such a bracelet) that just holding those pearls and feeling the amazing shapes would be fantastic... Still, I hope you find a suitable clasp solution and get to wear it out and about soon.

Oh Pattye! I'm soooo pleased that the bracelet is yours! Octavia is proud of you for blowing your savings on the things that really count...;)

Wine, piano & pearls -- priceless![/QUOTE]

Steve, is there no end to your talents? I'm totally with Gemgeek on the priceless comment! I'm a complete Chopin freak, the Revolutionary Study though just escapes me - much more of a nocturne player - always listening for those haunting, angsty, inner melodies Chopin was so fabulous at composing.

Pattye - I am in total awe of your day!! Not only getting to hear the music (enough in itself), or to meet some lovely PG friends (that would be nice!) or to see that stunning torsade (mmmm, very,very nice) BUT you got to take the CI bracelet home. I'm glad it has a new home amongst your beautiful collection. Congratulations!! I can only imagine what a fabulous day you must have had - have you managed to "come down to earth"yet?

Steve - where is the YouTube link?? I (and I'm sure others) would love to hear/see your playing..

Back