Natural Combinations

knotty panda said:
It's so odd how styles come and go?
My thinking is that a little stubborn (or even blissfully ignorant) independence, vs fashion, may be involved!

Steve
Seattle

My story: when my niece was 5, she made me a multi-colored necklace of pony beads for my birthday. Last year for my birthday, she made me a corsage made with pipe cleaners and the bottom of cups from an egg carton. The necklace and corsage get proudly worn to church every Sunday and for very special family occasions like Thanksgiving. The funny thing is, egg carton corsages have been popping up here and there every Sunday which makes me a trend setter.

If it makes you happy, and this lapel pin most certainly does, wear it proudly!

knotty panda said:
The necklace and corsage get proudly worn to church every Sunday and for very special family occasions like Thanksgiving. The funny thing is, egg carton corsages have been popping up here and there every Sunday which makes me a trend setter.

Jury is WAY out regarding wearability (the direction of this thread), but seeing the carefully selected pearls utilized in an attractive way is satisfying nonetheless, if only as an occasional reminder of a few months' busy hunting.

If I meet someone wearing another paua-pipi piece, that would be some trend?and a definite thread-stopper! (Just kidding, clearly!)

Steve
Seattle

One more post should 'bring this home.' The pin arrived safely today, along with the large baroque ab 'La Catalina' that had been sent to NZ for another, aborted, project. My wife went nuts for it (and perhaps even now understands the obsession behind its creation), and indeed it will get its share of wear. Being the view-er rather than view-ee has not interfered with my love of pearls to date!

I post an image as 'proof of receipt', but also as I find it interesting that my poor photo (yes, same pitiful camera as in the first post) manages to show the effects of normal indoor yellow/incandescent lighting. The blues and greens are noticeably washed out, but a more diverse and subtle spectrum emerges to take their place. For those who may have found the brighter colors a bit too garish, this might be an improvement, and is actually how the pin may look more often than not, indoors.

Steve
Seattle

Attachments

• Paua-Pipi-Pin.jpg
    Paua-Pipi-Pin.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Steve,

That is such a glorious piece of jewelry! The way it looks in your picture reminds me of beautiful light filtered by forest canopies or the way light dances on dew drops in the morning. Absolutely amazingly beautiful!!! Enjoy the treasure!:)

Regards,
Pernula

Ah! The many moods of Steve's pin.;)

Thanks for the penny -- clearly, at that small size, it would be entirely appropriate on a man's lapel. I'd be jealous, except that I can look at photos of it any time I want!

How about a photo in indirect daylight? I find the colors photograph truest in that light. (Yes, I'd love to see more photos, including a photo of it on your lapel -- then we would know for sure how it would look.)

Thanks and please keep sharing your collection of cool pearls.;)

Blaire

GemGeek said:
How about a photo in indirect daylight?
We're leaving to visit wine suppliers in December, and will carry 'the pin.' Vel?zquez took full advantage of Spain's luminosity and our chances should also be good!

Steve
Seattle

You could especially appreciate Catilin's analogy of relating pearl growers to wine producing regions. Maybe the internecine arguments would end if they would all just have a glass of wine! ;)

Not only do wines and pearls hold beautiful and varied color in common, but great wines also tend to express pronounced minerality reflective of their origins, part of the French concept called 'terroir.'

I would not be surprised if in French-speaking Tahiti terroir has been borrowed, albeit unofficially, towards defining and describing their best pearls?

Steve
Seattle

GemGeek said:
You could especially appreciate Catilin's analogy of relating pearl growers to wine producing regions. Maybe the internecine arguments would end if they would all just have a glass of wine! ;)
Would that certain elements of the wine business benefit from the appreciation of fine pearls!

smetzler said:
I would not be surprised if in French-speaking Tahiti terroir has been borrowed, albeit unofficially, towards defining and describing their best pearls…

Steve
Seattle

Ah, the French and their beloved 'Appellation d’origine contr?l?e' certificates. They did work for the CAP! Until now... the revision of the EU budget is supposed to slash the CAP into market oblivion. Bless their hearts to both sides of the story :D

Must confess I thought for a moment about that system and pearls in the same sentence. Apparently, that idea and international turntable auctions for truckloads of matched hanks don't go down quite as well as I thought (there is a thread 'round here that taught me that). ;)

Valeria101 said:
Ah, the French and their beloved 'Appellation d’origine contr?l?e' certificates.
To be clear, terroir is a time-honored concept that predates the regulators! It has also become a rallying cry for those concerned about pervasion of technology and globalization of styles.

Bureaucracies, however noble in concept, inevitably become devoted to their own perpetuity (and to providing reams of regulatory text as page filler for wine and gem authors!).

Steve
Seattle

Last edited:
I'm a little out of my element here, but there was a man (well-known rapper perhaps?) who was amazingly well-dressed at the Grammy's. I believe his name is Jay-Z. I just saw an interview of him on the red carpet and all the talk was about his diamond brooch which he wore as a lapel pin and he was, well, again amazing! A pearl lapel pin? Equally amazing!

Knotty,

It was going to be a surprise, but I have found an occasion to wear my abalone/poe pipi pin this Saturday! There is a black tie fundraiser for the Department of Polish Studies at the University of Washington, and I have been asked to play Chopin after dinner (remember, we're also in the piano business). Over any and all protests, it's going on the tux lapel!

Excellent. You should get a picture of your lapel and let us see!
John

You don't think getting off with just a pic, now do you? This calls for a video! Just remember, you're the original -- Jay-Z is the copy cat! How exciting!

I grew up to Chopin, played by my mother on her baby grand. One of my earliest memories is of watching her play the "black key" etude. <sigh> ;)

I grew up to Chopin, played by my mother on her baby grand. One of my earliest memories is of watching her play the "black key" etude. <sigh> ;)
Your mother was clearly accomplished! Given the patriotic nature of the event, the 'Revolutionary' Etude is on the program, together with two of the better-known Polonaises?

(How these threads do turn?)

Re video, I suppose we can try that too. No experience with YouTube but then again no experience with on-line forums before Pearl-Guide?

Back