Natural Combinations

SteveM

Wondering about combining naturals (perhaps forum members can dig up a few examples to post here?).

Having been enamored of poe pipi and abalone pearls of late, a desire has grown to see how they would look together. Upon receipt in recent days of loose pearls from the Cooks and Chatham Is in NZ respectively, I couldn't wait to sit down and give it a go…

Abs cover a wide spectrum of colors minus gold, which is supplied by the pipis. The last human migration was that of the Maoris from the Cooks to NZ, abs and pipis symbolic of the link. Maybe I'm just playing matchmaker…

Late at night at the kitchen table the lighting was horrible (and I definitely need a new camera), so a little imagination is needed. Ab color is mostly missing here, but I am satisfied they are gem quality with high lustre and intense overtones.

—Earring pearls: Approx 2 carats 'roundish' freeform abalone and 1x4mm round golden poe pipi for each.

—Pendant: Arrowhead-shaped freeform ab 1.9 carats, oval freeform ab .5 carats, 2x4mm round golden poe pipi, 1x4.5mm poe pipi drop.

This was my first-ever attempt at manipulating loose pearls—quite a rush! It was a bit comical, however, trying to move those little things around with my large, flat fingertips (didn't trust tweezers for potential scratching)!

Opinions about the concept, its viability and/or execution are desperately solicited (mercy, please!).

Steve
Seattle

Attachments

• Ab:Pipi:Set.jpg
    Ab:Pipi:Set.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
The pearls look brilliant together! You keep coming in with there wonderful things :cool:

I would imagine that such an arrangement would have been very straight forward for the Art Nouveau period. For what that matters... such designs are sophisticated and desirable today too. It is not terribly straight forward to find someone who works those things still, but not impossible either. My 2c.

With no particular example there in mind, just the style: THIS.

How is the necklace going? The skets you have posted suggests something quite daring! (a caged pearl).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reinforcement, I suppose as reflection of recent life experience this project would have some core validity even aside from aesthetics. My wife and I looked at the link this morning (sevenfingers) and it was also very helpful, suggesing ways that the more unusually shaped pearls might have a home.

Execution: If we can't develop the right relationship locally, will opt to send the pearls back to the Cook Islands or NZ (along with design concept) to be worked by those who know these pearls intimately.

Valeria101 said:
How is the necklace going? The skets you have posted suggests something quite daring! (a caged pearl).

Poe Io Mata Nui is in the hands of IO (the creator), and our next view will likely be the finished piece, upon hand delivery in late May. Any journalistically significant interim developments will be posted at Pinctada Maculata!

Steve
Seattle

This thread has its origins in my simultaneous fascination with poe pipi from the Cook Islands and Paua abalone pearls from New Zealand's Chatham Islands, resulting in acquisition of loose pearls from local sources in each area. Combining these two intensely-colored pearls in a single piece became somewhat of an obsession.

The design work was given to Ben Bergman of Rarotonga, who relayed it to his workshop in Auckland, NZ, further symbolizing a Cooks/NZ link begun when the Maori emigrated from the Cook Islands and arrived to New Zealand approximately 1000 years ago.

The piece is a lapel pin, a personal statement of sorts. But I may be too accustomed to viewing beautiful pearls on others to dare wear it myself!

Steve
Seattle

Attachments

• LapelPin1.jpg
    LapelPin1.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 37
That is a lovely piece - the combination of shapes and colors is beautiful. Great job in arranging the ultimate execution of your idea!
John

That is one of the most beautiful pieces of jewelry I have ever seen! Thanks for sharing -- and you must wear it.;)

Steve,

Wonderful combination of colors, shapes and textures. I find that some of the oddest combinations of gems work and some that seem like they would work beautifully fail. All you can do is put them together and look at the result.

Wow!

The largest round was not in the set when you first posted them... and looks enormous for pipi pearl :cool: Is it? scale can escape in a picture.

Thanks for the positive comments, and from such core forum contributors! I'm still awaiting delivery so am much in the same boat, ogling from afar.

Pearl selection: I forwarded quite a few pearls of both types, all among the best in our possession at the time. My first post was just a few minutes of play (and to convince myself to go to a professional!), featuring my favorite of the abs, the symmetrical arrowhead-shaped freeform. I am very pleased with the use of this pearl on the left hand side of the lapel pin.

The large poe pipi is 6.2mm, a size now nearly off the scale for pipi rounds, and additionally with high lustre and deep gold color. The 4.5mm perfect drop (at the 'hilt' of the pendant in the first post), among my favorites for its pure cuteness, appears to be among the unused pearls being returned with the pin. Will need to look for another use!

Steve
Seattle

Lucky fish?

(Don't look too closely?nearly went cross-eyed cropping a gray carpet from around the pearl!)

Attachments

• Fly_Pipi.jpg
    Fly_Pipi.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
I love the way you shied away from diamonds. Stunning.

knotty panda said:
?shied away from diamonds?

Diamonds were suggested. 'Shy' would be a good characterization of my negative reaction. In any case, given the intensity of the pearl colors more than a little daring is going to be required for actual wear?

Steve
Seattle

I'm speechless! What a unique design. Very intense color spectrum. It makes this truly one of a kind. Thank you for your beautiful pic.

Beautiful pin, Steve. Love the contrast. Really unusual yet very wearable.

Is someone getting that for Xmas??

Slraep

Slraep said:
Really unusual yet very wearable.

Is someone getting that for Xmas??

Ingykiz said:
What a unique design. Very intense color spectrum. It makes this truly one of a kind.

The pin is an intensely personal statement reflecting recent pearl world pursuits as well as professional affiliation (note the grape leaf/grape bunch motifs reflecting our wine importing business). But there are others in the family taking an interest. May have to share!

Steve
Seattle

May I ask the dimensions?

Still not in hand (FedEx says tomorrow) but pearl sizes from left to right are 18mm (arrowhead freeform ab), 6.2mm (large round poe pipi), 15mm (oval freeform ab) and about 8-10mm more for the smaller poe pipi and spacing, for a total approximate width of 48mm, or 1.9 inches. My hope is that it will prove small enough to simply provide a splash of color on the lapel, causing comment only from the eagle-eyed. (I am not in the habit of folding handkerchiefs in my breast pocket and have had some success with tastefully colorful pins as a lazy man's substitute?).

I have viewed another thread regarding Tahitian pearls as men's jewelry, maybe a non-specific men's jewelry thread is in order?

Steve
Seattle

From the picture, I would have guessed it as larger. It's so odd how styles come and go. My husband always wore a lapel pin on those rare occasions that he wore a suit.

Back