Natural and cultured pearls at famous Paris XXVI? Biennale

Yes that was really big fancy pink diamonds, so the price was over 1,200,000 €, so over 1,5 million us$ for the necklace only, matched earrings are not included, sorry !

Next will be Cartier, and remember, I will post crescendo ...

Here is Cartier, no need to present this great jeweler. As a start you can watch a serie of 23 pictures, but no pearls in the gallery.

http://rouge.cartier.fr/?num=024#/0/0

So here is a somptuous ring with a natural pearl said to be 54,63 grains exactly with a 5,38 carats padparascha (a pinkinsh-orange saphhire) surrounded by brown diamonds.
The pearl I am posting here is also seen on Cartier facebook page, but the photographer focused on the stone, while for the photo I made only for PG I focused on the pearl ... The color of the pearl is a brownish green. Enjoy !

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...0940657646.572582.203621737645&type=1&theater

I like the kaki/ orangy-pink colors combination, do you?

More extraordinary Cartier pieces later.

P1140666-cartier-natural-pearls-paris-26-biennale.jpg

Last edited:
The linked presentation is quite amazing! Love the orange sapphires, and the combination of Ceylon blue sapphire (unfaceted beads) with the more common quartz.

This ring is a beauty, yes, agree, great combination of pearl and padparadscha, one of my all time favorite gemstones.

Thank you for such a treat, Anna!

I agree. I have never seen a pearl that color! And padparascha is such a beautiful color too. So totally Cartier! Thanks for bringing the classy jewelry photos over here!

As I was strolling in Paris, I saw the exact pearls as the ones Chanel set, in a window of a well-renowned pearls seller in Paris.
So I stepped in to learn more. It was a 16 strands bracelet for "only" 11 000 $. A lovely bracelet.
I asked the seller if she knows where the pearls come from. She first thought they come from the Persian Gulf, but she immediatly phoned to a natural pearl expert who said the pearls are from Pacific... well, that' s a large area :rolleyes: but that's all I know !

Cartier tour not finished yet...
Here is a pair of amazing Cartier earrings, natural pearls of course. Typical of Cartier's elegance, leave my spechless.
Do you like them?

P1140664-cartier-natural-pearls-paris-26-biennale.jpg
P1140664-cartier-natural-pearls-paris-26-biennale.jpg

More amazing earrings! Anna, do you think the pearls are strung on silk or wire? Which would have most movement?
There were so many to see (I "only" show the pearls here) that I did not check for each piece how it was set. Really I can't say, sorry.

All of a suddain, I stopped in front of a Cartier window exhibiting natural rare pearls. At this very moment there happen to be a gemmlogist I know ; commenting the visit to other people. I though "wonderful I will learn which mollusc these wonders come from" but not at all, she just commented, they were natural pearls "such as conches".
So that was not enough for me. I talked to the vendor to learn which was the mollusc these natural pearls came from. She looked at her exhibition book and cannot find it. As she was turning the pages, I saw a gemmological certificate and I asked for the latin name of the species, so I got it !
It looked like if it was the first time she red the information.
I asked permission to take photo, and I got it. (sorry for overexposed light)

I wont' tell you so soon, but you will be the only ones to know about;

P1140663-cartier-natural-pearls-paris-26-biennale.jpg

Last edited:
So in your opinion, are they :
  1. conch pearls (strombus giga)
  2. horse conch (Pleuroploca gigantea)
  3. penn pearl
  4. melo melo pearl (volutidae)
  5. cassis pearl
  6. abalone pearl
  7. scallop pearl
  8. giant clam pearl
  9. quahog (m mercenaria)
  10. nautilus pearl
  11. natural oyster south seas pearl
  12. natural oyster mexico pearl
  13. else

Last edited:
Stay tuned, matched necklace to come :)

These threads are always so much fun, Anna!

Is that peach tinge I think I see accurate?

My guess- cassis pearls which have a flame but more color than the nautilus...

Last edited:
And here is the matched necklace.
Right Caitlin it is a cassis pearl. as far as I remember the briollette drop is an imperial topaz.
Isn't it incredible.

P1140660-cartier-natural-pearls-paris-26-biennale.jpg
P1140661-cartier-natural-pearls-paris-26-biennale.jpg

Back