My Sea of Cortez Mabes are Set

Oh Red I love them ! That pendant design is wonderful and those stones are perfect with the pearls ! How lucky to have such a great designer in your city .. and your jeweller is lucky to have a customer with such good taste in pearls !! (and everything else I'm sure !!) All in all a fabulous result .

Thank you so much, Katbran. Great praise indeed. I am lucky to have several fine jewelry designers in this town whose work is completely awesome. I drop in several times a month to keep up with where their artistic vision is taking them. I don't use them unless my materials are worthy of them, and these Sea of Cortez mabes certainly made the bar.

They are beautiful and look amazing with the coloured stones!

Thank you, hanadama. Colored stones were my first love, and finding pearls and stones that work together is a special treat.

lovely choice of stones to go with you SOC treasures, Red. I too love the open backs!

Red, Beautifully done pieces!! Sea of Cortez are favorites of mine also. The open backs are an interesting touch. Be ready for compliments; you look terrific in them!
Thank you for the compliments, Pattye. We chose the wire rims and open backs to keep the pieces light. The pendant was a particular challenge, because it doesn't lay flat. I considered other settings, but they would have been difficult and made the wavy side view more obvious. The simpler wire setting lets the mabe's "potato chip" curves just be.

Red, I was just reading about your time at Ruckus over on PS. Congratulations on the beautiful setting. I am a colored gemstone collector, and I love that you used spinels.

What fantastic pieces, Red. There are a lot of nice SoC settings out there but I think these are my favorite!

Your posts and jewelry are such an inspiration Red :) I've a big silvery white (blue and rose overtones) fat Tahitian drop lurking in my treasures bag ... and somewhere at the bottom of that bag is a lovely cornflower blue cushion cut sapphire ... I wonder ... :)

Ooooooooooooo CathyK .... you've got me all stirred up now...I love the white Tahitian drop (I've been looking at a weird huge long drop for about two months now deciding whether or not to pull the trigger..I keep hoping someone will buy it...but it's still there...waiting...) And the cornflower blue sapphire CUSHION CUT - OMG my OTHER favourite colour,stone and shape!!!!!!!!! You must take action !!! I want to see photos !!! damn.. I've got to see if that pearl is still available...damn

Kath! Don't look, cover your eyes!

Red, they turned out exceptionally well, and you've shown us how well a simple setting can work.

Last edited:
Wow wow wow!!! What a set!!! All are absolutely stunning!!!! I love how everything coordinates, but that the settings are not too matchy-matchy! Perfection! Enjoy!!!

Wow, Red, those earrings are just gorgeous! Thye look so perfect on you!! Oh to have a jeweler for custom pieces of art. Fantastic gem choice too!

Gorgeous set! And so beautiful photos! LUSTER and COLORS!

Thank you, all, for the kind comments.

I was shopping today in a nice part of town, and I wore my SoC. I feel that they kick it up a notch, so to say.

SoC_0514.jpgSoC_0521.jpg

Ohhh Red, they kick it up at least a few notches!!

Back