My no-perfect projects

tears_of_the_sea

I started pearl beading from 2015. At that time, I tried to clean some old jewlleries which have not been taken out for a while.
Shoes,clothes,purses ,those which have been once loved and treasured can end up in the bin, but not my pearls. So I was thinking how to revive these pearls.
Youtube is a life saver, I watched some videos about pearl beading and then started to sort out the accessories.

The first project , 120cm long necklace, was apperantly too ambitious for someone who couldnt' even sew a button on the shirt. It went on for months, beaded, cut it,beaded again, cut again. So lets call this necklace Long Necklace v.9.0 , you can see from the picture ,the knots are still too loose. I really dont want to try the 10th time. Just let it be one digit attempts.
No one is perfect, my poor Long Necklace v.9.0 is not either.

IMG_0107.jpg

That was ambitious for a first timer, yes. And it's good enough!

Just curious, were you using doubled thread? I simply cannot avoid gaps unless I used doubled thread. Pulling the 2 threads apart makes the knot move to where it belongs.

My day job(or lets say paid job) is very intensive and high pressure.
Beading is a perfect hobby that provides calmness and solitude.

Recently ,I am realy into brooches. Have bought lots already, and still not stisfied with those finish products in the store. I contacted a few pearl accessories suppliers, ordered samples , and started to make my own brooches.

IMG_0109.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg

IMG_0108.jpg

IMG_0115.jpg

IMG_0116.jpg

yes, doubled.

Different size of pearls needs different thread. I sometimes just chose No.12 or No.15 threads (from TAIWAN or CHINA)

The big pearls(13mm up) need Japanese threads(strong threads)

The knotting style now I applied is the following

13e3024f78f0f73645dd2dda0b55b319eac41355.jpg

Tears, you have gathered quite the collection to compliment and play with your pearls! I agree beading helps one relax from a stressful workday. The brooch findings are new to me, how interesting! What are the stones? Some interesting clasps also. Thank you for sharing!

Editing to add: I've never seen that style of knotting before. I'll have to try it, fascinating.

The stones on the brooch are zircon.
It was quite fun playing with the tools, reminded me of science projects in school.
Initially I didnt know what kind of glue to use, and the glue ran everywhere when the first few times I tried to set the pearl on.
My fingers were also glued together... it was really messy.
Getting better now.

Have also done the settings on some pendants(S925 sterling silver base), using button fresh water pearls.

IMG_0118.jpg

Last edited:
I use double threads ,so only need to do one knot. It is like a half square knot.

Just started making a bracelet, took some pic of the knotting technique that I am using.

Please have a look. There may be other more effective techniques, I found this one works for me.

IMG_0121.jpg

IMG_0122.jpg

IMG_0124.jpg

IMG_0125.jpg

IMG_0126.jpg

IMG_0127.jpg

IMG_0128.jpg

IMG_0129.jpg

IMG_0131.jpg

IMG_0132.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg

IMG_0135.jpg

IMG_0136.jpg

IMG_0137.jpg

IMG_0138.jpg

IMG_0139.jpg

IMG_0140.jpg

Last edited:
Tears, fantastic work! I feel the same way about jewelry making...a great way for me to relax after the stress of the day. Your knotting looks great, and I wouldn't worry about them being too loose for now. That's quite an accomplishment...kind of like diving into the deep end of the pool to learn how to swim! You did very well. I also love your step by step photos here as they really do illustrate how to draw the knots. Thanks for sharing. One tip, you may want to use gimp (french wire) on the clasp connection to the thread. It will help to protect it from wear and gives the piece a nice finish. Your findings are beautiful. I agree with Pattye, I haven't seen some of them before, and they are beautiful.

I can't wait to see what other lovely things you make!

Oh you have a great set of toys! ;) I'm also intrigued by your knots. It looks like a variation of the Chinese knot method, except that only half the strand(s) is used to knot. Where did you get your brooches? Do you ever use them as clasps? Purranha uses a few of her brooches for clasps and they are certainly statement pieces!

Back