My fixer-upper Tahitians

cyndayco

I took home this strand from Greenhills. While there were much more beautiful pieces out there (even in that bargain basement called Greenhills), this was what I could afford. So I plan to buy more loose pearls over the next several months, as my budget allows, and make the following pieces out of them.
  1. A princess-length strand of off-round and semi-baroque pearls
  2. a pearl station made of baroques, circles, and small freshwaters
  3. and a pair of earrings
I hope you designers can give this spat a few pointers as my projects unfold!

(Pardon the photos; they were taken with my phone.)

IMG_1435.jpg
IMG_1438.jpg
IMG_1408.jpg

It's been over seven months since my last update. My fixer-upper has undergone a couple of transformations.

First, I added a copper-plated toggle clasp as the focal point.

IMG_0015.jpg

But the pearls were too big for the toggle to lay flat.

IMG_2188.jpg

So I had to rethink it. It still needed a focal point (and I didn't have a big matching round pearl for the job). I liked the combination of rose gold and peacock green, so I opted for a Karen-style silver bead, plated in rose gold, with a clasp to match.

Then, on a trip to the southern islands of the Philippines, I found a handful of loose pearls to replace some of the more odd-shaped pearls from the original strand.

Now, my necklace looks like this:

DSC_4002.jpg

DSC_4000.jpg

IMG_2624.jpg

So that ends my fixer-upper story. I hope you like it.

Last edited:
That's really impressive. And really big pearls! :)

Isn't it fun you created that all by yourself? :)

- Karin

Thanks, KarinK.

Yes, they are big, 12-16mm. And if you start big, the only way to go is small. So unlike other pearl addicts, I don't suffer from Pearl Shrinkage Syndrome (PSS). :D

"Yes, they are big, 12-16mm. And if you start big, the only way to go is small. So unlike other pearl addicts, I don't suffer from Pearl Shrinkage Syndrome (PSS). :D[/QUOTE]
LOL How funny, a like minded Pearl Girl ! I have to make myself buy some smaller pearls every now and then cause I tend to only get huge ones. I too have never suffered from PSS ! Well done Cyndayco - I like the focal bead..I've used a Thai silver bead as a focal before in the same way you did..works well on the 'Spherically challenged' pearls. :)

Great journey -- thanks for sharing with us! I love the look of those big Tahitians!

I love what you did with them. Definitely a great color combination and they look great against your skin. :cool:

I love what you did with them. Definitely a great color combination and they look great against your skin. :cool:

Absolutely agree! I love the pizzazz and pop of that bead, and what you're doing.

Back