SSP vs FWP

evinz

Hi friends, I would love your assistance again. I bought this strand as South Sea circlé drop/baroque pearls from Continental Pearl, but the more I look at them, the more they look like freshies and I can't get it out of my head. I paid about $600 on account of them being circlé, but maybe I was wrong to think I could get any kind of SSP strand at that price. Let me know what you think?

Indirect hazy natural light:

IMG_7635.jpeg
IMG_7637.jpeg

PS: they were sold as 9-11 mm and while I don't have a calipers, they look a lot bigger than that, based on eyeballing against a pair of akoya studs that I know for a fact are 7.6 mm and a pair of drop earrings I am pretty sure were measured accurately at 9 mm.

They look like SSP to me; the price reflects the blemishing, luster, size, shapes etc.
Drilled pearls are measured perpendicular to the drill hole. Given the elongated shapes of your pearls, that means they were measured the short way.

Pearls that aren't perfectly round are often measured by their shortest diameter, so they're bound to look bigger than what they are marked. They look like SSP to me, too.

They look like SSP to me as well. The price has gone up so much in the past couple of years. A friend of mine bought a strand of WSS from this vendor about 3 years ago, and got better pearls for slightly less price. I'm not saying this particular vendor was raising the price, it's the whole market. Anyways, $600 is a good deal of money. If you don't enjoy these pearls, you might want to return it and buy a beautiful pendant, or add some money for a better strand.

Yup! SSPs you got there friend!
Practicing my Yoda-speak!

Thanks everyone! I see no one is impressed with the strand, that's interesting. I was trying to sacrifice everything else to luster, but maybe I've just dipped too low in quality. Probably my freakout is a sign that I should return these...

Thanks everyone! I see no one is impressed with the strand, that's interesting. I was trying to sacrifice everything else to luster, but maybe I've just dipped too low in quality. Probably my freakout is a sign that I should return these...
It looks a lot like the one I have, bought several years ago. It was what I could afford and I really like the fun and less formal shapes. I am very happy with mine.

Looks like SS to me too. The only thing that matters is if YOU love them! The luster is very pretty :) My own white South Sea pearls are very circled and I love them. Have fun deciding!

Back