My Eyris Pearl

lisamla

My husband and I just returned from a trip to New Zealand, so of course I planned a trip to check out the Eyris pearls. We were in Christchurch for only a Saturday and at first the shop was closed, but luckily, they opened in the afternoon for a tour group coming in. I was planning on just looking, but my husband liked the pearls and started inquiring about pricing and well that was it; I left the shop with a loose pearl.

The ladies in the shop were very nice and talked to me all about the pearls, showed me a 15 minute video and let me watch as the two in shop abalone were fed. It was a very nice experience.

The pearl is 13 mm, A quality and listed as Blue Green in color. I was looking for something with purple in it and this was the winner.

Attachments

• Blue Pearl 1.jpg
    Blue Pearl 1.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 37
  • Blue Pearl 2.jpg
    Blue Pearl 2.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 35
  • Blue Pearl 4.jpg
    Blue Pearl 4.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 37
  • Blue Pearl 3.jpg
    Blue Pearl 3.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 35
That is just beautiful!!! What are you going to do with it? Make jewelry or just fondle it (I would be fondling it!!)

Congratulations! I'm so happy you took the plunge. You'll be very happy that you didn't leave it behind. ;)

Checking the Eyris website, there are two grades for their mab? pearls above A. But your second image gives an impression of mirror that I have to assume nearly tempted a 'gem' rating from them, as it suggests a nacre thickness well in excess of the 0.3mm minimum. Beautiful!

Lisamla,

Good choice, love the intense colors with purple! The perfect vacation souvenir!!

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Thanks everyone! I'm going to have the pearl set in a bezel; something simple.

When I was talking with the sales ladies I asked about grading. I was told there is select and then gem above A, but that there are few of those out of each harvest. And the price increases significantly. They had a $6,000 (NZD) pearl at their work shop. I don't remember if it was gem or select, but I also believe there was talk on PG of a $10,000 Eyris pearl. I was also told anything graded B is not considered an Eyris pearl, just simply a blue pearl and does not come with certs. Anything below B is not used.

No sure why, but on the video I watched, select was not mentioned. The video did indicate that often times when a gem quality pearl is found the area surrounding the pearl has to be perfect too and it is usually cut with extra shell remaining around the pearl.

On an interesting note, apparently these pearls are only harvested every three years. The new harvest is expected in June/July if anyone is interested.

It really was a fun experience. If you ever find yourself in New Zealand check it out.

Thanks for the nice pictures. A lovely pearl and I think set in a bezel, it might be a real looker when worn as a pendant!

Beautiful pearl, Lisamla.
Lucky you; an Eyris pearl and a pearl of a husband, too.
Sigh, what more could a girl ask for.

Wow - beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!!! I love the colors - like twilight distilled down into a single pearl...

Eyris

Eyris

the Grading System is

Roger?s Personal named collection including Google Earth and Blue Moon owned 50/50 by Imperial and Eyris

Then there are :
Select Gems
Gems
A
Mystique the last picture is a mystique
B
C
Your pearl look fantastic enjoy it

so... - what's your plans for the pearl, anything in mind yet?

A simple white gold bezel probably on an omega chain. I have to save some money first, though. Eventually I think I'll get some matching earrings.

I just spent two days with Roger Beattie from Eyris pearls. He came to LA after the Vegas show (just to visit PP, a real honor). Last night GemGeek came up with a friend and we had a crazy time! Roger was wearing "Google Earth" as a brooch and it received a lot of compliments.

After an omakase sushi dinner I dropped Roger off at the airport (about an hour ago). He is heading back to New Zealand. He is one terrific guy who is "mad keen" about pearls, scotch and a lot of other things (his words). Really great times... I am sure Octavia will have a recap soon of last night;)

Hi Jeremy,

we all look forward to Octavia?s reporting... how I envy Blair that she and Octavia can visit PP...

Back