My attempt at knotting!

StevieBoy

So here’s my first attempt at knotting!

Its green agate with a micron plated panther head clasp.

Nothing expensive or extravagant, but i wanted to practice my knotting skills before I attempted on nicer beads/pearls

my first attempt at knotting

Last edited:
Excellent work for a first attempt! However, I'm not a fan of that BIG knot close to the clasp. You might check some YouTube videos on how to tie off pearls 2-4 beads/pearls down to avoid this situation. The clasp on a strand is somewhat of a focal point and depending on how beautiful it is, the clasp can be worn in front to show it off. I recommend you watch videos then practice methods of tying your beads/pearls off a few beads/pearls down the row. I tie-off smaller pearls 4-5 down the row, and larger pearls 3-4 down the row. I also saw a method I like on YouTube where you pull the thread from the final knot through the adjacent pearl (using a very fine flexible beading needle) so the "tail" rests inside the pearl, making the final knot more secure. There are SO MANY methods of tying off pearls and I'm sure other experts on this site can give you even more advice. This is just the method I prefer both for how it looks AND for the secure nature of the strand. It also keeps the clasp connection looking beautiful. When I'm using gold beads/rondels I try to make sure that I hide my final knot inside one of these beads/rondels.
Happy experimentation. It took me over 3 years to find a method I like. Don't be afraid to try different things with different beads/pearls/sizes to find what works best for your projects. Study all the options out there and modify based on your project. You're off to a great start!
In the photo below you can see my final knot between the 4th and 5th pearls (up above the clasp). It is slightly larger than the other knots. The tail is pulled through the 6th pearl, and then I double back (with original silk string/needle) to the 3rd and 2nd pearls tying a standard knot. The final tail is between the 1st and 2nd pearls. I secure the main knot and tails with GSHypo Cement, let it dry, then carefully cut tails as close to the hole in the pearl, being careful not to cut the existing knot next to the tail. (I've accidentally cut that knot when cutting the tail and had to start over...again; you learn what NOT to do, by doing it wrong.) :ROFLMAO:
Another hint that I learned on YouTube video, which was brilliant and I always use; put a piece of double-stick tape on a firm plastic surface
(I use a wallpaper smoother I had on hand). Pull the thread taught back through the first pearl making sure the French wire is secure and touching the pearl and there is no slack in the silk thread between the other pearls. Then lay the last 4-5 pearls to be knotted on the double stick tape. Voila! The double stick tape now holds the pearls in place so you can securely tie that first double-backed knot and the French wire won't pull away from the pearl. Tie that first knot securely while the strand rests on the tape, then remove the pearls from the double stick tape and finish the final knotting. This method keeps the strand tight and the knot with the French wire from pulling away from the pearl, exposing the silk.
Happy Learning and Happy Pearling!
IMG_1262.JPG

Last edited:
Wish I could ask you to help me out with my Mala Jalpa.
Good work @StevieBoy (y)

Back