Multi-Strand (3 or more) Necklace Challenge!

Gorgeous! And re: lengths, I have no idea! I still can't always gauge how long a piece is going to be once I knot it. Forget about twisting, I'd have no idea. It's definitely a challenge. Untwisted, laying it out on a multilayered bead board helps. But for twists, I got nuthin' lol.

That's a necklace I would make! Love it! The thicker strands take up more real estate. I'm not sure if that helps. :)

What a luscious combination of shapes, colors, my favorites! Not certain what you want the lengths to do when they are untwisted~but torsades I've had are usually the same length. Untwisted they drape together, very casually. Not certain that makes any sense at all. Katbran, what kind of clasp are you using? How many strands?

In this case I just wanted them twisted and thought I had it right until I gave it a bit of a shake and the fat peach drips dropped down about and inch below the others..grrrrr .. I just took that strand off and removed 3 pearls and rewrapped it .. all good now...tho the whole thing is fairly long..but thats ok..it's just for me anyways :)

This one just has a parrot clasp but I was going to switch that up for a toggle..the parrot isn't quite the look I want. And I do love those colours too Pattye.. and there's so many shades of coral around at the moment. Very kind words gemgeek ;)

Thanks for the help .. glad to know I'm not the only one in the dark...bit of trial and error I think :)

I like the longer torsades best. I love those colors so much that it got me thinking...I have cherry quartz... :)

Katbran,
I love the colors and textures! What is a parrot clasp? What kind of clasp shape works?

How about a five stranded bracelet? Can that qualify? People who've been here long know the story of my mother's five stranded costume clasp. Long ago I decided I would convert it to a bracelet and that it had to be round white pearls (took me too many other purchases to realize). Today I finally had an opportunity to buy the pearls I needed so here goes...

Here's the clasp, all basemetal and plastic.

attachment.php

- Karin

Can't wait to see it, Karin! That's a great clasp.

Re: toggle clasps for torsades, would a toggle untwist easily? I love them for multistrand necklaces but I wasn't sure if they wouldn't hold a twist.

How about a five stranded bracelet? Can that qualify? People who've been here long know the story of my mother's five stranded costume clasp. Long ago I decided I would convert it to a bracelet and that it had to be round white pearls (took me too many other purchases to realize). Today I finally had an opportunity to buy the pearls I needed so here goes...

Here's the clasp, all basemetal and plastic.

attachment.php

- Karin

Yes, Karin,

I feel this would qualify as many of the challenges in making a multi-strand would be the same. Excited to see your finished bracelet!

Yes, Karin,

I feel this would qualify as many of the challenges in making a multi-strand would be the same. Excited to see your finished bracelet!

Then I better get moving!

- Karin

Love the textures and colors of your piece, Katbran! Sort of bold, because quite large/bulky, but friendly, too, because of that jumbled, cluttered effect of mixed textures. I like that contrast.

3 lines leather tied and knotted. The pearls are glued in place.
Leather and Tahitian pearl. Makes you feel like Steven Tyler when you wear it! :eek: Or very organic, or just plain amazing. :cool:

Attachments

• leather3.jpg
    leather3.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 36
  • leather1.jpg
    leather1.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 37
Nice! Please tell us more, Sheryl! I love this casual style with elegant pearls!

Are all 3 cords the same length?
What kind and size leather? What did you use to make the loop? A different material?
Any challenges? Did you drill the pearls yourself? (I find it challenging sometimes to match up the leather cord to the pearls without additional drilling or reaming of the hole.)

The cords are the same length (basically) I drilled the pearls myself. There is a gold plated hook on the end that is crimped and glued to the leather and a gold fill ring securing the ends of the knot. It is natural Greek leather, unsealed so it does darken slightly with skin contact.

3 lines leather tied and knotted. The pearls are glued in place.
Leather and Tahitian pearl. Makes you feel like Steven Tyler when you wear it! :eek: Or very organic, or just plain amazing. :cool:

Sheryl,
I love, love, love, love, love this!!!! I love the mix of leather and pearls, this is really my kind of necklace :) I've been wanting to make something like this in leather, you really just inspired me!

I think organic is the perfect word for it! Takes a good eye to create an organic-looking arrangement.

Hope I can get this photo to load ...pearls , coral, watermelon quartz and gold filled beads . I have to redo it as the lengths are not quite right..first attempt at this..harder than you think !! Is there a formula or trick to getting the lengths right ? Lol View attachment 24514. Upside down...but you get the idea :)

I really think this deserves to be right side up, if someone can help. Also, is it okay to ask for a close up of all the beautiful beads and pearls? This looks like it was a lot of work, great job!

Back