More Pretty Pearls

Kimberly22

Hello Group,

It's been a long while since I've popped in. Life is busy! I hope you are each well.

I've discovered I'm not a pearl collector, but I still like them a lot. :) I'm sharing a strand I recently acquired. They look a little different than the usual pieces that come in the mail bag about every other week. I would love to know your thoughts.

Thank you ever so much in advance!

Attachments

• 1morepearls.jpg
    1morepearls.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 2morepearls.jpg
    2morepearls.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 3morepearls.jpg
    3morepearls.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 39
Hi Kimberly,

Pretty graduated strand you have there. They look to be Akoya, if cultured pearls, or imitation, though not sure about the pearl on the clasp. The bead tips on either side of the clasp have tarnished badly, and some stretched places indicate a need for restringing.

How do they look different to you? Do you feel they are imitation? How did the seller identify them? Is the clasp karat gold or sterling silver or base metal?

Last edited:
Hi Kimberly,

Pretty graduated strand you have there. They look to be Akoya, if cultured pearls, or imitation, though not sure about the pearl on the clasp. The bead tips on either side of the clasp have tarnished badly, and some stretched places indicate a need for restringing.

How do they look different to you? Do you feel they are imitation? How did the seller identify them? Is the clasp karat gold or sterling silver or base metal?

Thank you ever so much for your reply, Pattye. The pearls are for certain genuine, not imitation. The color is not so white, they are more yellowish. Also, the pearls have much finer quality, nicely shaped, but not perfect. The pretty clasp is 14K gold and the pearl on it seems like a nice quality as well. I acquired them in a box lot from auction. No provenance is available.

I think these will improve with a gentle wash and then a restringing. Do not use those bead caps next to the clasp. Use silver gimp (French wire), as it will make the strand look more expensive.

Back