Melo Melo and scallop pearls

grecianasia

New to the group, as the melo Melo pearl and the scallop pearls sre new to me

please advise

DST

Hi DST this post violates our policies as did another one you made. So I removed the advertising components. Please check out the PM I sent you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,
could you post pictures of the pearls and tell us more about who you are and how you get these pearls ?

Thanks

It is such a small world of gem primary news sources online, that it makes me wonder if it was those conch earrings at the last Oscar's or Vincent Pardieu's Vietnam blog that got non-nacreous pearls (including melo) out of the water... in the past six month or so... literally ! The conch were there, natural pearls might have been dripping into the pool of public information one at a time (a tenth at a time?!)... but these round marbles are darn new :cool:

Just a thought :rolleyes:

If it wasn't for the earlier story of those New England scallop pearls, wouldn't have dare think let alone write such a thing.

I deleted two of the posts. In one post an unacceptable word was used that starts with 'sh'. And in another, a user was referred to as an idiot. You better have a lot more credibility than just a couple of posts before you start slamming people here like that.

Start fresh

Start fresh

Melos and Scallop pearls are found in this region on occasions.

This area of central Vietnam has a huge pearling and shellfish industry.
When Valuable pearls are discovered by ignorant fishermen they more often than not do not realise their value.
Word gets around and 'dealers' from Saigon race up to see the pearls.
They begin by offering a few 'million Vietnam dong' $100.s.
The fisherman who is faced with 'big money' in his eyes, will often take it.
These people who discovered the pearl were directed to me by the local police, {with whom I work on occasions} In the hope that I could help these people determine the pearls real worth and obtain a fair and reasonable sale price.

I am a semi - retired Veteran, with 1 leg and a full disability pension
I am the director of a Trading company, and a Business advisory service
(for Vietnamese to communicate in English with Foreign Business.

I was in Vietnam as an Australian soldier in 1970,
We were in error coming here.
I still owe a debt to these people.

I was in error not reading the forum rules.
DST

Hi DST
hope that I could help these people determine the pearls real worth and obtain a fair and reasonable sale price
I hope you can too. And I think you can, especially if you will post some photos. ;)

What is the Vietnamese pearl scene like? How do the dealers work and what kind of freshwater pearls are they procuring and selling, for what kind of prices?

We are fascinated by Vietnamese pearls over here, we have members who own natural black pearls from Vietnam- the local species of freshwater mussel producing fantastic pearls is anodonta woodiana, if I got it right.

If you want to take the time to learn as much as you can about pearls and the local Vietnamese pearl scene, you would be a real asset to this board. Your desire to be helpful and fair could be augmented by really getting into pearls (including the non-nacreous ones that brought you here)

I am sure there are people who want to deal with you, maybe you could make a sideline out of Vietnamese pearls.... I am positive that this is a market on the rise.

Are you anywhere near Saigon or (other pearl sale place) to check out the kinds of local pearls for sale at what prices?

Last edited by a moderator:
Melo Melo Pearl newly acquired

Melo Melo Pearl newly acquired

This weighs a hefty 83.04 carats and measures 28mm x 21.93 x 17.16. Sorry my photography so poor. I'll try another camera when I have time.

Tom Stern,MD

This is the photo

Attachments

• Melo Melo.jpg
    Melo Melo.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 51
Hi DST as this forum doesn't allow advertising or selling, I would suggest you look up melo pearl dealers in Vietnam. I just searched "ngoc oc" and Google already showed me a melo pearl dealer website with pretty helpful information. Of course, I don't know their credibility so I cannot tell you to trust them, but at least the fishermen you are trying to help know where to start their research when looking for pearl dealers. Most young and middle-aged Vietnamese now a day have decent access to the Internet, so they can do the price research on their own.

Dear Sir / Madam

My boss, is looking to acquire a pair of melo pearls, round, 10-16mm in diameter, matching in size and colour (they don't need to be exact but as close as possible) and really good examples, i.e. good colour, chatoyancy, fire/flame appearance, etc.

My boss will be visiting Thailand from 05- 09 December 2018.

I am trying to set up a meeting with a Melo pearl dealer in the area who can assist us in the search and hopefully show him some pearls for purchase.

Please get in touch if you can assist me.

Your help will be so greatly appreciated.

PS. If you have a pair to show us that is not in Thailand of course we are still interested to see whatever you have available.

Thank you!

Best regards

Back