Luster on photo under the daylight

They quoted me for a pair of 11.4mm round shape, slight imperfections, high lustre, price is AUD $2300.
If this is a good price, then I don't want such pearls.
Oh, I think I must have contacted the wrong seller. There seem to be more than one with similar ID names.
The seller who quoted me the above price is in Australia. The other one with similar name is in Hong Kong.

:)

I did the same a few years ago...I've lost the photo from eBay but these were the sorry pearls which arrived, purporting to be AAA gold SS.

3a sorry south seas.JPG

The 'Pearls As One' course has lots of interesting information. Yes I took it, many thanks to the creators.
At the same time, I personally find this forum to be way more useful than any course ;)

Not sure I understand this....to glue yourself what?
The "pearl setting" post OR dangle earring findings will come with a pearl cup and a textured post. If your pearls are not already 1/2 drilled, you will need to have them drilled (or drill yourself), being sure to drill them where any imperfections are showing so that the setting will cover those imperfections. Once drilled, be sure to test the textured post to make sure it fits in the drill hole. You also need to test the length of the post to be inserted. If it is too long, you may need to shorten it by clipping the gold textured post with a wire cutter before mounting or drill a little deeper. Finally, apply a small amount of glue onto the bottom 1/2 end of the textured post. Don't use too much or it will squirt excessively around the pearl cup and you'll have to clean that up! Insert the post with a slight back and forth twisting motion to evenly spread the glue into the hole with quick/even motion, then VERY quickly twist to find the best vantage point for the luster to be seen and any additional imperfections to be toward the bottom/back when worn. You have to work fast because the pearl will grab hold so quickly! It's a little tricky, but worth it for the cost savings if you can find the correct peal pair at the right price. I made these 14KYG Diamond Tahitian pearl earrings from a pair of pearls I purchased from a gem collection estate sale on EBay (US purchase) and mounted them. They match my Tahitian graduated strand perfectly. The findings were purchased from a Jewelry Finding's company in LA. I'm actually wearing them today. The pearl strand was also purchased from an EBay estate sale, also authentic.
1706559050896.png
1706559144983.png

IMG_3162.JPG

Last edited:
What do these pearls run? I've never purchased from Cees... Does he sell white South Sea?
I contacted him on Instagram because of his post and customers here. I asked him if he could find me a natural Akoya strand that hadn't been pinked and he did. The price was very reasonable. I haven't purchased South Sea Pearls from him but I think he can supply pretty much anything. You could contact him and see what is possible. He should be able to tell you if your budget is possible. Be sure to include if you want them to be mounted on findings and decide on that if you make a purchase.

I contacted him on Instagram because of his post and customers here. I asked him if he could find me a natural Akoya strand that hadn't been pinked and he did. The price was very reasonable. I haven't purchased South Sea Pearls from him but I think he can supply pretty much anything. You could contact him and see what is possible. He should be able to tell you if your budget is possible. Be sure to include if you want them to be mounted on findings and decide on that if you make a purchase.
Thank you!

Hello everyone,

Prospecting pearls from another seller. What would you say about these, are they real south sea pearls?

Attachments

• corss.jpg
    corss.jpg
    737.6 KB · Views: 36
The size is in the range and the color is right for SSP, but it's not possible to know from that photo if they are even real pearls.
Can you get more photos?
Is the vendor trustworthy? Or is this a private sale from a stranger?
Could you get a refund, or would it be a final sale?

Etsy seller. Their shop policies say items are not returnable.
On etsy, I am not as confident as I would be on ebay.
I am still talking to the seller, not buying right away. Also need to ask them which country is shipped from.
If I correctly understand, the main risk of buying online is that the buyer might receive an item that is not as described. That would be harder with pearls, because the seller picks up from a large lot of similar pieces.

If more photos would provide more information, which kind of photos should I ask for? Larger resolution? Under daylight? Back side and front side (a bit weird for round pearls ;) ). Any different ask for photos?

Last edited:
What good reason would there be for a vendor not allowing returns on loose pearls? I wonder. This would be a deal breaker for me personally but you may feel differently.

Scrutinize the vendor's feedback and their other listings to see if there is anything concerning.
Look closely at all the photos for blemishes. For round pearls a video would help. Then you would know you had seen the pearls all around.
Read the description carefully.
Does the listing state you would get the very pair in the photos? Or is the photo merely representative?
Ask yourself if the price is in line with the cost of round, clean SSP nearly 12mm.

Etsy seller. Their shop policies say items are not returnable.
On etsy, I am not as confident as I would be on ebay.
I am still talking to the seller, not buying right away. Also need to ask them which country is shipped from.
If I correctly understand, the main risk of buying online is that the buyer might receive an item that is not as described. That would be harder with pearls, because the seller picks up from a large lot of similar pieces.

If more photos would provide more information, which kind of photos should I ask for? Larger resolution? Under daylight? Back side and front side (a bit weird for round pearls ;) ). Any different ask for photos?
I would NOT purchase pearls from an unknown seller with this kind of sales policy. Best spend a bit more money on a trusted source!

I would NOT purchase pearls from an unknown seller with this kind of sales policy. Best spend a bit more money on a trusted source!
Almost any seller that deals with large quantities of pearls can make a mistake, and send the buyer a different pair.

Regarding trusted or less trusted sources. Earlier I spoke to another Etsy seller who was recommended to me by an esteemed member of this forum. The seller (with very good reviews) said they do not pair pearls for buyers, and recommended me to purchase first, and to make a note with the purchase. And they also do not accept returns or exchanges.

Almost any seller that deals with large quantities of pearls can make a mistake, and send the buyer a different pair.

Regarding trusted or less trusted sources. Earlier I spoke to another Etsy seller who was recommended to me by an esteemed member of this forum. The seller (with very good reviews) said they do not pair pearls for buyers, and recommended me to purchase first, and to make a note with the purchase. And they also do not accept returns or exchanges.

A very good reason to allow returns. Mistakes can happen.

The OP shared with me the listing and I examined the seller's shop and listings. Without revealing the name of the seller, there are numerous red flags including:
• FWP listed as akoyas and SSP
• impossible prices for SSP and GSS
• reviews state poor quality findings-- posts that twist out of shape (and seller blames the buyer)
• photos are representative, not the actual item being sold
• seller lists all pearls as natural rather than cultured

Back