Luster on photo under the daylight

Almost any seller that deals with large quantities of pearls can make a mistake, and send the buyer a different pair.

Regarding trusted or less trusted sources. Earlier I spoke to another Etsy seller who was recommended to me by an esteemed member of this forum. The seller (with very good reviews) said they do not pair pearls for buyers, and recommended me to purchase first, and to make a note with the purchase. And they also do not accept returns or exchanges.
I agree...especially if we are talking about WHOLESALERS, but not so with RETAILERS. Then there are companies from abroad: shipping across continents is trickier and costlier, thus this causes issues and would be understandable even from a retailer.
I stand to my opinion: Always best to buy from a reputable source and have a clear RETURN POLICY.

Are these the south sea ones? Thank you!
Unsure. They look like SSPs but I would need to see them up close to make sure. The video cannot convey those visual nuances that we would need to say: Yes!

The OP shared with me the listing and I examined the seller's shop and listings. Without revealing the name of the seller, there are numerous red flags including:
• FWP listed as akoyas and SSP
• impossible prices for SSP and GSS
• reviews state poor quality findings-- posts that twist out of shape (and seller blames the buyer)
• photos are representative, not the actual item being sold
• seller lists all pearls as natural rather than cultured
It figures. At least to me...once again: always find a trust worthy source!

Thank you so much, helpful forum members!

If and when I get a pair of pearls in hand, how could I get some kind of expert opinion that this particular pair is bead nucleated freshwater instead of south sea pearls? The Etsy customer service might need some opinions in order to prove misrepresentation by the seller, and to proceed my refund.

If you didn't already buy them, don't!
If you bought them, cancel the purchase.

Nothing we could write here would convince Etsy to give you a refund.
And sending them to the GIA for analysis would cost you money. Sending them back to the seller with tracking would cost even more.

The photos and videos are stock photos/videos. What if they send you SSP, but lower quality than are in the photo? Then even a GIA report would not help you.
SSP of the size and quality in the photo would cost more than they are charging. So either they are not SSP, or they are lower quality SSP.

Prevention is better than cure. Buyers need a robust sense of self preservation.

Last edited:
shipp.JPG

I'd say this is the best for a buyer. But this is ebay, not etsy.

In the USA, buyers have to be careful about accepting a return label from a seller. If the seller's prepaid return label doesn't include tracking and insurance, there is no way for the buyer to add tracking and insurance at the post office counter.
It used to be possible, but no longer.

Which really leaves the buyer high and dry if the package goes missing, or if the seller claims they never got it back.
And tracking on international packages is costly and only available with pricier shipping options.

From my chat with an Ebay CS rep:

"Me: If I will have to return the pearls, will my shipping to seller (China) be refunded?
Them: What will happen since your seller is from china we will ask him to provide you first any means necessary so you can ship back the item.
I see do not worry about the item's title description. The important thing is seller accepts return as he stated on his policy that he accepts return and he will pay the return shipping cost.
The seller can send you prepaid label if not he can send you funds first in Paypal or any payment method so you can ship the item back. There is a time frame for that.
Me: And what if I ship the item back with tracked package, and it will not arrive to the seller?
Them: For that one I believe that you are still covered by filing a lost package claim.
But if the seller provided the return label then you use it to ship it back then that is not your fault anymore your refund is still guaranteed with us."

Back