Looking for a re-knotting advice

Dizzie

Fellow beaders,

Hopefully you could give me a helping hand here.
I am planning to restring my 36- inch strand. Currently it is graduated to the center, however, I always wear it double, thus the largest pearls end up behind my neck, if I do not want to show the clasp.

Now, as I am adding a fancy clasp, I would like to have a possibility to wear them with clasp visible or not.
This is where I got lost - how should I go about graduation - which direction should it be oriented

Are there any proven approaches?

Thanks

Do you still plan to double them? If you place the fancy clasp in its usual location (farthest from the center pearl on each side), then it could still be visible when doubling the stand (the part of the strand with the center pearl lower, the part of the strand with the clasp higher-- or vice versa, depending on size.) Thus the clasp would only be visible when doubling.

For the clasp to be visible even when not doubling, it would have to be placed asymmetrically, not far from the center pearl, wouldn't it?

If you re-arrange the pearls so that they become as two strands - ie two biggest centres then you will have the larger pearls at the front.The way to do it would be to start to take the necklace apart and add only alternate pearls to the strand as you go, setting the other pearls aside in order so that they form the other half of the necklace - you'll add them once you get to the end..which will be the middle...well I know what I mean..do you follow that?
admittedly that doesn't allow for the clasp to be visible since it is still at the back. but it does get the big pearls to the front on both halves.

If you re-arrange the pearls so that they become as two strands - ie two biggest centres then you will have the larger pearls at the front.The way to do it would be to start to take the necklace apart and add only alternate pearls to the strand as you go, setting the other pearls aside in order so that they form the other half of the necklace - you'll add them once you get to the end..which will be the middle...well I know what I mean..do you follow that?
admittedly that doesn't allow for the clasp to be visible since it is still at the back. but it does get the big pearls to the front on both halves.

Wendy, thank you so much! This is exactly an approach that I was looking for! I can't wait to start stringing. I am only waiting for a clasp that you have shipped to Germany today to day (yep, it was me, confess) :)

Thanks, Pearl Dreams.

I guess you are right, I cannot have it all. Then I will just go for doubling, as this is my "bossy" look when I need to pretend being important in serious meetings.

One of the puzzles that I ran into, with the major clasp to the side, is counterbalancing the weight of the clasp. Any thoughts?

Back