Light Blue Blue Pearl?

DDavidO

Hello friends,

My soon-to-be wife is obsessed with Pearls.
We are going to celebrate our wedding at the Dominican Republic and agreed to give each other some larimar gemstone related gift.
Is there any pearl that looks like larimar, or that have such a vivid light blue color? If not, could I mix both things on a necklace or earring?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Welcome to Pearl Guide DDavidO! You're in the right place for pearl obsessions :) I've seen a very few larimar and pearl pieces, and the combination can be lovely ... that intense sky blue, cloud white patterns to echo the pearls ... A pendant in larimar and white pearl, with earringz to coordinate would be stunning wedding jewelry, and a forever memento. Most blue pearls are akoyas and are a more silvery slate blue ... unique and beautiful, but different from larimar. If you search Pearl Guide for Blue Akoyas or Vietnamese Blue Akoyas you'll see lots of examples as many of us own some (hubby favors the term "obsessed" LOL). Please do let us know how your great idea progresses!

I have a Larimar pendant, I think white pearls would be the best compliment. That said, white pearls with the blue pearls mentioned, scattered in their midst, sounds Wonderful.

Remember bracelets! I love being able to look at my pearls, does your loved one like bracelets?

with larimar a silver tahiti with blue overtone would be the best, there are dark tahitans with blue but because the light color of the larimar it will not be as nice also south sea s with blue overtone would work really good.

Untitled-2.jpg
silver tahiti with blue overtone

I agree with the idea of the white pearls ... pretty tricky to colour match. You could always buy some nice Larimar stones and then sort out the pearl colour you want after the fact. I don't know anything about Larimar ( other than the bits I've seen) so I would suggest you read up on it a bit so you know what to look for and what to watch out for ..and buy from a good store.

Thank you all for the answers! I'll definetely look into a white pearl + larimar set (necklace, earrings and maybe bracelets).
Almost sure it needs to be custom made, so although I fell in love with this website, I'll ask the jeweler's opinion (99.9% sure I could find cheaper cabochons or even rough larimar).

Any suggestions for larimar and pearl stores are very welcome :)
Thanks a lot again

I was curious to see what was being offered as larimar "out there" and I'd say be careful. There is larimar quartz (NOT larimar) which is man made and "dyed larimar" which you would want to avoid.

The larger pieces of larimar show more of the cloud-like formations and variety of colors than the smaller beads. Here are some examples from Asian Beads/New World Gems This company is one I have bought from in the past and feel they represent their gems accurately. I don't like their current return policy, however. Am linking to them as they have a wide variety of pieces to compare prices. They also do have a 20% additional off currently.

Gempacked.com is a trustworthy seller, listing dyed larimar Also other beads not indicated as dyed, but the color seems off.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice pattye (now I see that it's a MUST do some more research on it).

New World Gems seems very legit, I don't see stores showing the brown color on larimar nearly as much as they do.

I will keep looking, thanks again.

with larimar a silver tahiti with blue overtone would be the best, there are dark tahitans with blue but because the light color of the larimar it will not be as nice also south sea s with blue overtone would work really good.

View attachment 37854
silver tahiti with blue overtone

DMJ, WHERE this you get that Tahitian pearl? It is just sublime!

Pearl and Larimar pendant from Ross-Simon on special HERE.

And terrific pearl and larimar earrings from JTV HERE.

Both are easy to do business with. :)

Back