Large Quahog Pearl

PearlGirl850

Thanks for the add to this board, much appreciated.

I'm attempting to find value of a pearl that has been in the family for years. It was found off the coast of Cape Cod. Taken to a jeweler once..... it was measured at 18 mm x 10.9 mm and 27.5 cts weight? I would describe it as a button pearl, one side a deeper purple than the other. Any info or direction as to who to contact regarding value would be greatly appreciated. photo 2.JPG

its a funny pearl quite a large size endeed, prices are what you can get they go from 100 to some thousands there are websites that sell them and have the pearls in stock for years already.

If you can make better pictures some people here might be able to tell you more specially see if there are no hairlines ( little lines inside the pearl ) or other cracks etc these bring the value down quite fast. besides that auctions are the best things to see value there is a quahog once every while on ebay so you can keep a eye on that

Thanks, I'll get better photos. No hairlines or blemishes. It's darker on one side than the other, which is interesting.photo 3.JPG

Really love this. I think it would make a beautiful pendant.

this would make a beautiful pendant (I agree with marianna) or a nice ring. I think with a ring it would be dynamite with a halo of diamonds around it!

thanks everyone, attempting to get better photos today. still surprised at it's size myself. after continued research haven't came across one of this size.

We have had quahog pearls here before. I absolutely love them and did a bit of research when a huge one came on the market 10 or so years ago.They are somewhat fragile. They can't be drilled, so must be set gently. A ring is the riskiest setting because rings get more knocks than pendants or brooches. Some people make little cages or put them in teensy bottles, though yours is too big for the latter idea.

Since your pearl has two sides, maybe a ring around the outside as a pendant that can show either face would work.
Purple Quahog pearl.jpg
This brooch has a fantastic story of being found in a thrift shop for $15.00 about 10 years ago. There was a huge splash of publicity. It was put on the market for $250,000.00 and taken to the Tucson trade show and toured elsewhere, but there were no takers. I don't know if it ever sold.
Some exotic, expensive pearls on Kari's website often take years to sell, though yours might just get grabbed, if the price is right.

I just looked that big antique pearl up. It is only 14mm. So, you do have a rarity. I don't know what the record size for a quahog pearl is, but that one is in the running.

Back