Can someone tell me about these pearls?

songjiepeng

Hi,

The picture posted below shows an 18 inch pearl strand I bought 10 years ago. They are not all perfectly round, but I am pretty sure they are real as there is an gritty sensation when rubbed against each other. They also have quite some weight, and the average pearl size is about 6.5 mm each.

If possible, I would like to know approximately how much their current value is and what type of pearls they are. I also think they might need some restringing as some of the parts have loosened quite a bit. Any help would be appreciated. 961BB8FA-1F33-44F5-841E-BECF197E315A.jpgFFFA70FE-B19A-4E98-8806-92C53702BEA7.jpg

Welcome to Pearl Guide!

They are cultured freshwater pearls from China. They are solid nacre-- no bead inside to make them round. They are very wearable pearls!

As to current value, you are talking about a used / pre-owned strand of smallish non-round freshwater pearls...the resale value is not high. Used pearls in general do not tend to hold their value. Also, freshwater pearls are the most common pearls and non-round/baroque are the most common kind of FWP. To estimate what you might get for them, check out sold similar pearl necklaces on eBay.

On the other hand, if you are trying to figure out replacement value (for insurance purposes) that is higher than resale value. You can estimate that by looking at similar size off-round freshwater strands on pearl selling websites. But I would not worry about insuring them. Just keep wearing and enjoying them!

Restringing is not hard-- many of us restring our own pearls. We have videos and a tutorial on the Lowly Beaders Club forum.

Hi,

The picture posted below shows an 18 inch pearl strand I bought 10 years ago. They are not all perfectly round, but I am pretty sure they are real as there is an gritty sensation when rubbed against each other. They also have quite some weight, and the average pearl size is about 6.5 mm each.

If possible, I would like to know approximately how much their current value is and what type of pearls they are. I also think they might need some restringing as some of the parts have loosened quite a bit. Any help would be appreciated. View attachment 75832View attachment 75833

They are freshwater pearls from China. 100% nacre. When brand new, they would have been around $100-$150. Used, the will not fetch that price. They are beautiful. Enjoy them, but don't worry about insuring them.

Back