Japan kasumi 2010 harvest

kojimapearl

For those of you who love to rest your eyes on these colors.. Here are a few photos of the latest harvest of Japan Kasumi pearls. I have been sorting, drilling and stringing all week.. and I am happy to present these... my favorite pearls! This year's harvest was bountiful, with many gold pearls and a greater number of deep purple pearls than we have gotten for the last couple of years.

The first photo is what the lot looks like before I sort through to find strands of matching surface quality, luster, and complimentary colors.

The next two photos are the best strands we have put together so far. The sizes of the pearls in these strands range from 10.9 - 15mm!

The fourth photo is of a group of what we refer to as "setters". These are some of the best examples from this harvest. Often times the baroque pearls from Lake Kasumi Ga Ura are "one sided" .. meaning they have a beautiful relatively smooth surface and strong color on one domed side, and the other side tends to be flatter and more pitted. So we have come to sort and price them according to their percentage of beautiful surface. The pearls in this photo will probably end up set in rings or pendants because of their "button" shapes. The pearls in this photo range from 11 - 17mm! We were lucky to get a couple three rather large examples of Japan Kasumi pearls this year.

The fifth photo is of a beautiful pair, I thought that these were a beautiful example of the oil slick color mixture and luster that has made Japan Kasumi pearls so collectable and covetable!

Not pictured here, but I will try to post some photos soon, are some perfectly round.. and deep purple/lavender Japan Kasumi pearls... they are very unusual to be both round and deep in color. The round pearls are between 11.8 - 12.3mm, and should appeal to the more classical tastes.

I hope you enjoy these photos... I had a lot of fun burying my eyes into this annual project.
Cheers, Sarah

Attachments

• KASUMI2010 -5.jpg
    KASUMI2010 -5.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 27
  • KASUMI2010 -1.jpg
    KASUMI2010 -1.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 24
  • KASUMI2010 -2.jpg
    KASUMI2010 -2.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 25
  • KASUMI2010 -4.jpg
    KASUMI2010 -4.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 35
  • KASUMI2010 -3.jpg
    KASUMI2010 -3.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 26
Those are wonderful photos, wonderful pearls; I feel fortunate to own some! I used one of your previous photos of the pile ofKasumi multi color pearls as my computer background for many, many months! Also a relief to know there is still some production, however small.

Sarah, thank you thankyou for the beautiful pics... definitely brightened up my saturday morning!
It is great to see something so truly unique... thanks for sharing.

The sizes of the pearls in these strands range from 10.9 - 15mm!
The pearls in this photo range from 11 - 17mm!
The round pearls are between 11.8 - 12.3mm, Sarah

WHAT! Thats HUGE! I am astonished.
I thought they were beauties, when I assumed they were 6-7mm... silly me...
Magnificent!

Just stunning - thank you so much for sharing these!
The color depth really sets these apart - it's gratifying to see the production continue, regardless of size. Japan Kasumis have a place in my heart.

I have a question that may be a bit dim but...
Are there ever second harvest pearls from this production?

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the wonderful photos. Sorting through those pearls is a true labor of love. I hope I get to see some in person in Tucson. ;)

They are stunning. Very bronze gold purple this year. Luxky you to have all the pleasure of sorting them. Turning a pile of loose pearls into strands, pairs and singles with a purpose is a favourite thing for me to do too

Aaahhh.....swoon......that pair makes me go weak at the knees!!! :D

Thank you for showing us these beauties Sarah :)

Back