Is wire acceptable for this project?

cyndayco

I need your expert advice on a labradorite necklace with a GSSP as the focal bead.
IMG_3358.jpg

I was hoping to use Beaders' Secret, but the pesky drillholes in the labradorites are too tight. Is this wire okay? Is there another alternative?

Is that regular wire or beading wire? I would definitely use multi-ply beading wire, but I would put a smooth sort of spacer on either side of the pearl to protect it.

I agree as well...the fine wire is the way to go. I make this sort of necklace all the time and only use wire as the beads can be a bit sharp. I use a bead either side of pearls as well.

Ckrickett makes a good point..unless those briolettes are going to pack in close so the wire doesn't show it might be worth looking at a black and see if that disappears. Overall ... Looks good !

Cyndayco,
Yes, I agree, the black or dark gray multi-ply designer wire probably will be best for this design. It is coated, so relatively soft against the pearl, and a little spacer will fill in the gap nicely at either end of the pearl, sort of a punctuation mark. Very interesting color combo, as sometimes labradorite has golden and warm flashes besides the blues. Gonna be soooo pretty!

Of course, I most often use Beader's Secret, but sometimes hole size and drape of the necklace work better for me on wire.

Last edited:
Wow, thanks for all the suggestions! I'm not sure what kind of wire this is; I have never used wire before. But I will definitely on the hunt for multi-ply and Soflex.

I've used gold plated wire and it does not discolor -- it's covered with clear nylon.

Just wanted to mention that there are various brands that make this type wire. The 49 strand is the most flexible, and comes in various thicknesses. I've never had a problem with any of the brands discoloring. The nylon coating is smooth, protecting pearls from abrading.

Generally the higher the ply count, the greater the flexibility, but sometimes the very finest gauges come only in a lower ply count.

Back