Indian Pearl Farming - This is how an industry begins!

jshepherd

This popped up in my newsfeed this morning. It's pretty cool to see!

As part of the Indian Government's Blue Revolution initiatives, some Indian trailblazers are starting an industry!

How India is building a pearl farming industry
By Priti Gupta

I hope they're able to see it through the time and effort it will take to realize the full potential. India has area for marine and freshwater pearl farming. If they really wanted to do something great - possibly on the scale of China - they would have to focus on possibility over profitability, and need institutional support along the way. They could if they wanted and decided to though!

Great potential!

India has had amazing pearl researchers and they have good research institutions that can produce spat and help future farmers...but the issue -I was told back in 2019 when I was there- is SECURITY: the enforcement of laws and the protection of the pearl farmers against theft and other problems such as "incursions" by fishermen.
The same in Sri-Lanka, where an investor was trying to produce pearls in land-based ponds just to be able to avoid these issues. This particular venture has been halted with the recent economic & political upheaval.

But if the can solve these issues...India would be a great Pearl Producer. :D

Back