Incredible Melo Melo Pearl, or, The Pearl That Ate New York City!

Cliclasp,

You have a beautiful melo melo and wonderful to have a shell also! Thanks for showing the Tiffany piece, yes, it is gorgeous! Alas, probably I will not ever have a melo melo or a conch, but content myself with 2 strombus gigas shells and an abalone shell given me as a baby by my grandfather, which I still have and adore the lovely colors almost as much as if it were the pearls themselves!

In the hands of the right jeweler, I think it could be an amazing pendant on a very long chain on a very tall person! :cool:

Ooooh, here I am, lusting after something I can't have. So terribly frustrating!!! ;)

I'd really like to have the snail as a pet - very cute.

I never knew anything about these pearls, but they really are quite strikingly beautiful.

Sheri

Wow, Cliclasp! How cool is that? These gems are so rare that it makes sense that they would be identifiable, but small world, huh? ;)

This thread keeps getting better - love the Tiffany necklace! :cool:

Hey Blaire,
That's some Melo Melo! I love the flame structure. Thanks for the interesting links.

And CliClasp - that's so funny, photographing the melo pearl on a melo shell without realizing it! Congratulations on a lovely pearl.

Blaire,

Many thanks for the fabulous photos! 'minds me of a kumquat!

Cliclasp,

It's so great that you own such a fine melo melo. I feel now as though I've met a "pearl celebrity"! (Have you named it?)

CarolK
I strongly agree with what you say in your signature (out of topic :)
no name for my little one so far,

Miriam,
when I shot the melo pearl, I knew about her mother of pearl bailer shell ...
but I did not knew about when I bought it years before ...

Back