I'm new here. Have a question about Ebay

SuddenlyAddictedToPearls

Community member
Hi! I found your site while "googling" pearls.
I'm interested in buying pearls from Ebay (I know, probably not a good idea, right?)

Anyway, is it ok to post links here to Ebay sellers and ask for your advice?

thanks

its ok to ask questions about auctions you see as long as you aren't trying to promote the items in questions.

Oh and welcome to Pearl Guide.

thanks for the welcome!
I just wanted to buy a simple strand of pearls, but I've been reading so much information here and now I can't seem to make up my mind, even for a cheap necklace, LOL.
Anyway, here's one that I'm interested in, but it's graded AAA-
According to what I've read, grading is only AAA, AA, and A, right? No minus or plus?
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=310118155482

Is it worth the price? I'm not looking for anything extravagant, just something to wear everyday without worrying about damage.

thanks!

Wow, they have an awful lot of grades for thier pearls don't they?? In the supersize image you can see alot of spotting, not even A- quality in my opinion.

Last edited:
MK, thanks for your opinion.
My question is the same as Mary's. How can I tell the difference between akoya and something else?
thanks

At first glance in the small picture they looked off round which is one of the major factors in spotting a freshwater pearl, after looking at the larger photo I changed my opinion. The pearls looked much rounder and the luster and color looked more poor Chinese Akoya like.

The strand looks like akoya, but as Mka4972 mentioned, it is heavily spotted. Also, it is undoubtedly a short-culture akoya. If you wear it for a few months, the nacre will be gone and you will be left with the bead implants.

To be honest, that strand is about as low quality as one can get. It is really bottom of the barrel. More like -AAA on a -AAA, -AA, -A, A, AA, AAA scale.

Akoya strands can be purchased for couple of dollars in China. These are the rejects that the processors will typically sell locally. You see some of them over the in states occasionally (undrilledpearls.net was selling them for about $3 per strand). A strand of akoya pearls in that size that are even considered commercially acceptable for jewelry cost more than the auction price at a farm level.

As far as knowing the difference experience goes a long way in distiguishing Akoya from freshwater pearls, I have been buying them for around 15 years now and there are very few times I have to second guess myself when I have them in front of me.

Another thought--this might be a stock photo, and you would not be receiving the item in the photo, even if you win the auction. Akoya pearls, as you may have already read here, are formed over a mother of pearl bead, as opposed to most freshwater pearls, which form over a small piece of tissue (generally). The nacre on the poorer quality Akoya is thin, and this affects the wearability greatly. Good Akoya pearls are going to cost you a lot more than $50, that's the bottom line.

How can I tell the difference between akoya and something else?

It is not always easy to tell the difference, some faux pearls are shiny and round like Akoya. Just keep reading, and looking at the photos here, check out pearls in your local stores. Looking at pearls on ebay is ok also, there are a few trustworthy ebay sellers mentioned in the posts here on the forum.

My choice, for a wearable strand of pearls that will last a lifetime would be to go with freshwater, however. The prices are very reasonable for high quality, and basically an all nacre pearl. Do yourself a service and look at the freshwater strands offered by online sellers that post here. Most of us have made many purchases from them, both akoya and freshwater, and are totally satisfied by their fab customer service, generous return policies and gorgeous pearls at great prices!

Soon your eye will learn to discriminate between------Good luck!

Last edited:
Spotting can be on any thickness of nacre.

If you look at pearls at say a low end retail store and then go to a higher end retail store you'll be able to tell the thick from the thin very fast.

I'm glad you posted about this. You have some professional experts commenting on that strand. That seller looks to be like a typical Chinese low end seller.

Most pearl strands have surface blemishing. In the top grade it is 5% or less on the entire necklace. This eBay necklace has at least one blemish on every single pearl. These are a rip off for $49.00. They are a rip off for $4.90. They are worse than imitations.

Cultured freshwaters can be worn all the time 24/7 and won't show any wear (except for the thread). Freshwater pearls are tough when it comes to banging and bumping, so you can wear them without worry. Look into them before you decide.

If you look at pearls at say a low end retail store and then go to a higher end retail store you'll be able to tell the thick from the thin very fast.

This is very good advice, because telling them apart from photos is harder; especially when you're just learning to recognize the differences.

Start off noticing the difference in luster. Some will look dull and almost chalky compared to others with better luster. Then, if you rotate the pearls in the light you can sometimes see the whiteness of the bead nucleus appearing beneath the surface. This is known as "blinking." It shows that the nacre is very thin.

It really helps to go somewhere where you can compare different strands of different qualities... even a walk around a big mall that has several jewelry stores and a couple department stores will have quite a large variety of pearl qualities for you to look at. Don't take what the jewellers say as gospel, though. Most are far more knowlegable about diamonds that about pearls. Just look and compare and come back here and read some more! There are many posts on this forum that can help you to learn more - some people here have been around pearls for decades and are a great source of knowledge for all of us to draw on.

Back