i found what i beleive may be a pearl in the pacific i will attach a photo.

i found what i beleive may be a pearl in the pacific i will attach a photo.

• not a pearl

Votes: 8 100.0%
  • pearl

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • natural pearl

• cultered pearl

• Total voters

tyler1001

hello everybody the pearl? is 13.5 x 13 mm any insight would be greatly apeciated thanks!!

IMG_1702.jpg

Was this just lying on the beach or in the water? Or did you find it in a mollusk.

It looks like a round piece of quartz, not a pearl.

Rocks and pebbles will get tumbled perfectly smooth and round by the action of the waves rolling them around on the sand.

Do nuclei migrate? (Cue Monty Python.)

But seriously, can you take photos in natural light, but not direct sunlight, please? Place the bead in the shade, on a white paper towel. And try to get a close up of the surface, so we can see the texture of the bead's surface.

Last edited:
Can you please take a close up picture with a neutral (white, beige) background?

Could be ceramic....better photos definitely needed.
White background, in focus, no flash, close up.

They get rejected.

Yes, I know. I was making a funny. But if the bead is found nowhere near a pearl farm, I can't imagine that a nucleus would get washed miles and miles away from where the oyster rejected it. It's always possible it got gobbled up and expelled by some animal or fisherman.

It could be a pebble polished by the waves. Quartz like BWeaves said. I've seen translucent white pebbles like that at the beach.
First picture on top shows some striation. Second pic at the bottom in a row of 3 pics shows that it is not perfectly round. I assume nuclei are perfectly round.

Last edited:
under normal lighting on a paper towel

under normal lighting on a paper towel

its from vancouver island where there is plenty of wild oysters and oyster farmers.

IMG_1703.jpg

I'm sorry, Tyler. It still does not look like a pearl to me. It looks like quartz or glass.

Was this just lying on the beach or in the water? Or did you find it in a mollusk.

It looks like a round piece of quartz, not a pearl.

Rocks and pebbles will get tumbled perfectly smooth and round by the action of the waves rolling them around on the sand.

i found it lying it on the beach there is oysters and oyster farms close by.....

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I would think the oyster farms in Vancouver are farming food oysters, not pearls.

If they are trying to farm pearls, then this could be a rejected nucleus, which would be mollusk shell, but not a pearl.

Back