Hyriopsis Confusion

HydroShell

Hello Pearl Wizards!

I have been researching freshwater pearls today and have found that there is such a range of choices. I like the the look of some of the regular chinese freshwater pearls that I have seen, but Kasumi Ura pearls look unique as well.
I found some other freshwater pearls for sale but I am confused about the origin. They are supposed to be from the Hyriopsis Schiegli. But I cannot find any mention of it here or elsewhere. Any feedback on the variety would be appreciated!

The confusion lies in the spelling. I think you are referring to the Hyriopsis schlegeli. This was the freshwater mussel used in Lake Biwa when Biwa pearls were being cultivated.

Last edited:
Hello,
Any news about the Kasumi pearls?
When in Baselwrold jewelry fair last week, I had confirmation that the mollusks were still ill, leading to a poor crop then a high price level.
The mussels are being transfered in another place.
But do they recover in another japanese lake ? this is what I would like to know, hoping an increasing production in the coming years.
Do Chinese pearl farmers try to cultivate this hybrid, as I red they started akoya Chinese pearls cultivating?

The iridescent wrinkled look of the Kasumi is so fascinating maybe due to their unperfect skin, shape and irregular colors!

thanks a lot for any news on Kasumi pearls.

I am not sure what you mean about the Chinese and the Akoya. They have been culturing Akoya pearls since the mid 1960's.... But because they were all sold via Japan as Japanese, no one really knew about it until the late 80's, early 90's.

Last edited:
Back